"Phillip Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Phillip Island by eviltooth

Phillip Island Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 227 photos

4th August 2002

The island was discovered by George Bay in January 1798, 10 years after the first fleet arrived in Sydney. Originally named Snapper Island and then Grant Island it was finally named after Captain Arthur Phillip, the first governor. Sealers and whalers visited the island for many years.

Captain Wright set up a military post in 1826 at Rhyll to deter the French from claiming the area. The site was soon abandoned and moved to the mainland town of Corinella due to a lack of dependable fresh water supply.

140km South-east of Melbourne, Phillip Island is a place of natural beauty, sandy beaches, tranquil wetland and unique wildlife experience.

• Last visit to Phillip Island: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2002

• Dec 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Just thought I would let you know you can actually drift amongst the colony of Seals on a 2 hr cruise that departs daily from Cowes Jetty, an amazing marinelife experience, that you would be crfazy to miss on any trip to Phillip Island.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Quality tips with useful information. Thank you for sharing.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2005 at 11:17 AM

What a great page about Philip Island! This was one of the places I wanted to visit during my stya in Australia but ran out of time. Next time...

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Those penguins look so cute! Looks like a great place to visit ~ Helen

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2005 at 10:41 AM

Nice to know theres more than just penquins! Great pics & tips! Happy travels, Blu

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 9:26 AM

I'm not big on group tours either. I toured Sydney with one, but I feel like I just skimmed the surface.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2005 at 2:51 PM

Thanks for the great tips on Phillip Island! No problems re the photo - the huge tree at Flynn Beach looks magnificent!

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 6:08 AM

I just loved the penguins, but didn't see a lot else - great info, thanks!

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 5:54 AM

Very informative & full with nice pics too.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2003 at 2:30 AM

wonderful tips which I have added to my travel guide, thank you

eviltooth

“I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!”

Badges & Stats in Phillip Island

Have you been to Phillip Island?

Latest Activity in Phillip Island