"The most beautiful country in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand by martin_nl
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,627 reviews and 37,144 photos
Aotearoa, Nieuw Zeeland, or New Zealand as it is called nowadays in english, is a country of many diversities. The country has mountains, volcanoes, geysers, plains, 2 main islands, sheep, gardens, beaches and numerous national parks with some of the greatest tramps in the world. In short New Zealand is the country that has something on offer for everyone.
A bit about NZ
New Zealand has quite some history, though a lot of it, especially about Maori history and what was before them, is not 100% known. I will not get into it too deep, since history wasn't my best nor my favourite subject, but here goes.... Once there were the native inhabitants of New Zealand and then came the Maori's. The first white man to get to NZ is the good old dutchman Abel Tasman. He named the country Nieuw Zeeland, after the Dutch province of Zeeland. He didn't claim the land and it took some time before another European, James Cook got here, and when he did he claimed the land and changed the name to something the english could of course actually pronounce.... And that's how Nieuw Zeeland got transformed into New Zealand. The Maori's call the land Aotearoa, which means 'Land of the Long White Cloud'.
My travels in Aotearoa
I have travelled around New Zealand with the Kiwi Experience bus, which was very convenient. It took me to most of the places I wanted to go without any hassles, and it was easy to get onto activities.
I started my trip in Christchurch where I stayed for a few days and met up with Rosie (rozehill). She showed me around some of the good stuff in the surroundings of Christchurch. The I went north, crossed the water to the North Island and all the way of to Cape Reinga. After a few weeks in which I boogie boarded down huge sanddunes, farted my way around Rotorua, skydyved back down to Taupo and found my way out of Tongariro NP it was time again to go back to the South Island.
I did the grand loop around that island in which I kayaked the Abel Tasman NP, froze my a$$ off on the Franz Josef glacier, stood 'on top of the world' on the Ben Lomond in Queenstown, got almost washed away on the Milford Track, but had to wear sunnies in Milford Sound the day after, got hailed on at the southern most point of the country and white water rafted my way back to Christchurch.
A bit about this page
To follow my trails I suggest you do the following:
Take a look at the Must See tips and that will take you around New Zealand too in the same way as I went through it, though only virtual of course ;-)
In the Accommodation tips I have listed my favourite hostel as well as all the backpackers chains you will come across in NZ.
In Nightlife I have put some of my favourite nighlife towns in the country.
In Local Customs I've put up some tips about the Maori culture that might be both useful and interesting to know.
And in Sports I have listed the activities I have done while touring around both the North and the South Island.
Finally after reading this page I hope you feel the need to go to New Zealand too, because well... simply said... it's the most diverse and beautiful country in the world!!!
- Pros:The nature is among the most beautiful and varied in the world.
- Cons:The weather is too unpredictable.
- In a nutshell:Where God's lips touched the face of the earth.
Settle yourself on the terrace of Danny Doolan's in the harbour of Auckland and you're in for a great time. The rpices... more travel advice
Yep tramping they call it over here, rather than hiking. Nevertheless it i the same activity. This is by far the best... more travel advice
- See All National Parks
- See All Tamaki Village
- See All My favourite hostel in New Zealand
Written Oct 17, 2004
Some animals of New Zealand
Written Nov 3, 2004
Poo Pub Party in Mahinapua
martin_nl's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 95 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue