Australia Sports & Outdoors Tips by martin_nl Top 5 Page for this destination
Australia Sports & Outdoors: 70 reviews and 97 photos
Footy in the MCG
If there was only one thing you could experience of the Australian culture I would suggest you to attend a game of Aussie Rules Football. Best place to see this spectacle is definitely The Melbourne Cricket Ground. When I was in Melbourne they were renovating the MCG, so there was a good view of the city too. Even if you don't like football a game of Aussie Rules is a must. The whole atmosphere in the stadium is fantastic.
Equipment: Bring some money for a beer and a sausage roll.
Directions: Close to the city centre of Melbourne.
Theme: Sports Watching
Having lunch on a very small beach
The best place to go sea kayaking would be in Broome. The water here is crystal clear, you have the chance to see sea turtles and you are constantly looking at the stunning ocre colours of the cliffs on Gantheaume Point. So if you're done beach bumming on Cable Beach book a kayak trip for some action.
Equipment: Just bring a towel, bathing suit and a camera. The rest will be provided.
Horse racing in Broome is biiiiiig
Australians love to gamble and the races in Broome is one place where there is a possibility. During the right season there are horse races here every Saturday. Bet on your favourite horse and you might win some. People really dress up in all sort of creations. Here I captured some locals and some of the organisation.
Directions: On Gantheaume Point in Broome.
Kitt back in the boat after diving Ningaloo Reef
All over Australia you have the possibility to go scuba diving. The Great Barrier Reef on the East Coast is probably the most popular place to go (and learn how) scuba diving. All over the east coast you have the possibility to do so. On the West Coast you've got the Ningaloo Reef, with a lot of rare species of hard coral. Best places for diving here are Exmouth and Coral Bay. I particularly enjoyed Coral Bay. There are a couple of dive sites here that aren't very deep, but so very beautiful. The colours of the coral are very diverse and you sometimes feel like being in that kids tv cartoon the snorkels. Brilliant. There are also possibilities for diving in Perth and the jetty in Busselton. For someting very exclusive you can dive on the South Coast of Australia to try and see the leafy sea dragons that are very rare. As you can see many opportunities.
Equipment: You don't have to bring your own diving equipment, since you can hire everything. I do recommend taking your own dive computer and your own mask and snorkel.
Directions: All over Australia, but mainly the west and east coasts.
Theme: Scuba Diving
More Reviews (81)
- Domestic flights
- Cattle and suicide kangaroos on the road
- See All Wycliffe Well
- See All Roadsigns
martin_nl's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 190 Reviews
- 327 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue