"Haarlem - City of Flowers" Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem by martin_nl
Haarlem Travel Guide: 764 reviews and 1,800 photos
Haarlem, the city that calls itself Bloemenstad, which means City of Flowers. And they call themself this not without any reason. All throughout the city you will find different flowers. Especially in spring and summer the city is totally coloured by crocusses, daffodils, tulips and hyacynths.
A big annual event is the Flower Parade that goes from Noordwijk to Haarlem. Usually there are some 14-18 big floats like the one pictured above. In between the floats drive luxury cars decorated with plenty of flowers and brass bands play cheerful music. Every two years the Grote Markt is home of a big flower carpet. To see a picture of this you can take a look at Sandravdp's homepage.
Haarlem is one of the oldest cities of the Netherlands, over 750 years old. It is the capital of the Provincie Noord-Holland and has 150.000 inhabitants making it the 7th largest city of the Netherlands. During the last centuries Haarlem was an important city for the Netherlands. Some interesting facts are that the first train in the Netherlands drove on the track from Haarlem to Amsterdam. Haarlem opened the first museum of the country called the Teylers Museum. The first baseball stadium of the Netherlans was also built here. Haarlem also published the first newspaper of Europe.
Haarlem is kind of off the beaten track, since it is mostly overlooked by tourists that only visit Amsterdam. From Amsterdam, Haarlem is only 15 minutes by train and definately worth a day trip. It offers fantastic shopping, somewhat similar architecture as Amsterdam, but a bit smaller and best of all not so crowded. There are many good restaurants, (see my tips) most of them situated in the same area. So if you want to have a relaxed day with good food and drinks and interesting architecture and culture pay a visit to Haarlem!
April 26th 2003 Sandravdp and I organised a VT-meeting in Haarlem. We chose this day because the annual flower parade (bloemencorso) would arrive that day in Haarlem. It was a bit of a rainy day, but nevertheless we had a lot of fun. For a full report please take a look at the travelogues REPORT. Photo's can be found in the other travelogues.
Most people went home after the meeting but Irisbe and B_Caro stayed in a hotel. The next day we decided to visit the Keukenhof in Lisse. Please take a look at our Keukenhof pages for pics and tips of this day!!
- Pros:Everything within walking distance, which adds to the fun in this historic city!!
- Cons:The city is quite small, so you wish you could wander around in this city longer.
- In a nutshell:More relaxed atmosphere than Amsterdam!
In front of the Amsterdamse Poort (Amsterdam Gate), which is the only remaining gate in Haarlem you will find this... more travel advice
For centuries Haarlem was an important beer brewery city. Unfortunately all the brewers were gone some decades ago.... more travel advice
- See All Great all around the world oriented...
- See All Fusillade monument
- See All Trains to Haarlem
- See All Ice skating
martin_nl's Related Pages
Haarlem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haarlem - City of Flowers"
- "HAARLEM MY HOMETOWN"
- "Between us, I prefer Haarlem to Amsterdam."
- "READY FOR A VT-MEETING?"
- "An Easy Day Trip From Amsterdam Central"
- "Haarlem Adventures"
- ""Vicit vim Virtus" (Love conquers Evil)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haarlem
- Hotels in Haarlem
- Transportation in Haarlem
- Nightlife in Haarlem
- Restaurants in Haarlem
- Shopping in Haarlem
- Warnings and Dangers in Haarlem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haarlem
- 55 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Haarlem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haarlem
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: Melbourne to New Zealand"
- Commented on one of Sibbella's Haarlem travel pages
- updated a Haarlem Travel Page "Haarlem - City of Flowers"
- Wrote a Review Sculpture in front of Amsterdamse Poort about Statues in Haarlem Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sculpture in front of Amsterdamse Poort"
Photos in HaarlemSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue