"Hoofddorp the city in between cities" Hoofddorp by martin_nl
Hoofddorp Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 134 photos
Hoofddorp is not known to many people. Not that strange considering that there is hardly anything to see. Haarlemmermeer is the community, Hoofddorp is located in. Other places are Cruquius, Schiphol Amsterdam Airport, Nieuw Vennep and my hometown Zwaanshoek. It is very strategically placed right in between Haarlem, Amsterdam, Aalsmeer which is the centre of the flower industry and one of Europe's biggest airports, Schiphol.
Because of this location many big international companies have big offices in Hoofddorp or the Haarlemmermeer, and even more are coming. Many visitors that spend their time in the Netherlands also stay a night in one of the airport hotels, from which a lot are situated in Hoofddorp.
The year 2002 is the year that Haarlemmermeer is 150 years old, which means that about 150 years ago Haarlemmermeer was a lake, the Lake of Haarlem. Already in 1617 the first plans were made to drain the lake. It wasn't untill 1845 that the first steam pumping station called the Leeghwater started to actually drain the wild water of this big lake. Four years later in 1849 two more of these steam pumping stations (Cruquius and De Lynden)started to work. Finally, in 1852, after 7 years of pumping the bottom of the lake is finally reached. The water is now in a canal called the Ringvaart, which is in between dikes and is surrounding the whole new area Haarlemmermeer.
- Pros:Ideally located from many important sights.
- Cons:Not much to do in Hoofddorp itself.
V & D has a great restaurant in most of their stores. Not in their Hoofddorp location, but there is a shop connected to... more travel advice
Papa's beachhouse is located at the beach at the lake in the Haarlemmermeerse Bos. It's only nice to come here is the... more travel advice
martin_nl's Related Pages
Hoofddorp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hoofddorp the city in between cities"
- "Home of Mysteryland"
- "Dik Trom Town"
- "More pics from the Floriade"
- "Floriade overview"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoofddorp
- Hotels in Hoofddorp
- Transportation in Hoofddorp
- Nightlife in Hoofddorp
- Restaurants in Hoofddorp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoofddorp
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Hoofddorp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoofddorp
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: Melbourne to New Zealand"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Hoofddorp travel pages
- updated a Hoofddorp Travel Page "Hoofddorp the city in between cities"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hoofddorp the city in between cities"
- Wrote a Review Fantastic Sandwiches in Hoofddorp Restaurants
Photos in HoofddorpSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue