"Canterbury and the cathedral" Canterbury by martin_nl

Canterbury Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,027 photos

In July 2005 I flew to London for some 12 days. I hadn't made a big plan of things I wanted to do, instead I just decided to wait and see what would come up. So the first weekend of the two weeks were spend in Buckinghamshire with a party and a trip to the small town of Marlow. After that I went back to London for a few days to explore the city a bit more since this was my 4th visit already. Did a daytrip to Brighton to on one of those days too.

Having seen lots of London already I decided it was time for another day trip. There were many options to choose from like Oxford (already been there), Cambridge (perhaps a bit too far away for just a couple of hours), Stratford-Upon-Avon (same story as Cambridge), Leeds Castle, Bath and then there was Canterbury and it's cathedral.

I decided to go for the latter since it was the easiest and cheapest day trip from London in my opinion, and I had always wanted to see the cathedral. So I took the train from Victoria Station and a little over an hour and a half later arrived in Kentish Canterbury. The weather was just amazing, almost hot, the skies blue, and the people cheerful.

After walking from the train station through Dane John Garden I got to some shopping streets. Here I followed the signs for the cathedral, even though the signs aren't really necessary, as you can see the cathedral from miles away.

Half the cathedral closed!?

I got to the cathedral and noticed that more than half of the cathedral was shut since there was a ceremonial going on all day for the University graduates. First thought was why on this day??!! But then I wasn't going to let this spoil my day. The entrance price was reduced by more than 50% so it was a bargain to see such a mejestic building. Even though large parts of the cathedral were closed to the public, the highlights could still be visited such as the crypt and the Black Prince's tomb. Also just to walk around the cathedral is an event in itself.

After spending some time at the cathedral I navigated my way around the small streets in the centre of town. Visited the courtyard that is part of the Kings School on the western side of the city centre and closeby also St Augustines Abbey. After this I headed back into town again for an oh so cheap sandwich that was absolutely delicious.

I did another walk around town, visiting Greyfriars and passing the Museum of Canterbury on the way. I walked pass the Canterbury Tales and after that did some retail therapy in the fabulous shops around town.

Tired of shopping I decided to spend some time sunbathing in Dane John Garden which was basically on the way back to the train station. Last stop before taking the train back to the big smoke I snapped a quick picture of the Norman Castle ruins.

All in all it was an eventful day with enough time to laze around and take in stunning Canterbury, a city everyone with some time up their sleeves should visit as a day trip from London.

• Pros:Lazing about in Dane John Garden
  • Cons:Wish the town was a lot bigger, since it's so beautiful
  • In a nutshell:Not just the cathedral is worth taking a look at.
  • Last visit to Canterbury: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2005

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Great page, Martin. These are good photos and interesting tips. I feel like I spent the last half hour in Canterbury. Thank you for sharing.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Nine trips to London and I still haven't made it here, maybe on trip #10!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 1:21 PM

yes me too Martin, sure NZ Canterbury looks different!

• Jul 24, 2005 at 1:15 PM

Great start here Martin. I shall be back to see how this page develops :)

martin_nl

“It's all good...”

Badges & Stats in Canterbury

Have you been to Canterbury?

Latest Activity in Canterbury