"Canterbury and the cathedral" Canterbury by martin_nl
Canterbury Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,041 photos
In July 2005 I flew to London for some 12 days. I hadn't made a big plan of things I wanted to do, instead I just decided to wait and see what would come up. So the first weekend of the two weeks were spend in Buckinghamshire with a party and a trip to the small town of Marlow. After that I went back to London for a few days to explore the city a bit more since this was my 4th visit already. Did a daytrip to Brighton to on one of those days too.
Having seen lots of London already I decided it was time for another day trip. There were many options to choose from like Oxford (already been there), Cambridge (perhaps a bit too far away for just a couple of hours), Stratford-Upon-Avon (same story as Cambridge), Leeds Castle, Bath and then there was Canterbury and it's cathedral.
I decided to go for the latter since it was the easiest and cheapest day trip from London in my opinion, and I had always wanted to see the cathedral. So I took the train from Victoria Station and a little over an hour and a half later arrived in Kentish Canterbury. The weather was just amazing, almost hot, the skies blue, and the people cheerful.
After walking from the train station through Dane John Garden I got to some shopping streets. Here I followed the signs for the cathedral, even though the signs aren't really necessary, as you can see the cathedral from miles away.
I got to the cathedral and noticed that more than half of the cathedral was shut since there was a ceremonial going on all day for the University graduates. First thought was why on this day??!! But then I wasn't going to let this spoil my day. The entrance price was reduced by more than 50% so it was a bargain to see such a mejestic building. Even though large parts of the cathedral were closed to the public, the highlights could still be visited such as the crypt and the Black Prince's tomb. Also just to walk around the cathedral is an event in itself.
After spending some time at the cathedral I navigated my way around the small streets in the centre of town. Visited the courtyard that is part of the Kings School on the western side of the city centre and closeby also St Augustines Abbey. After this I headed back into town again for an oh so cheap sandwich that was absolutely delicious.
I did another walk around town, visiting Greyfriars and passing the Museum of Canterbury on the way. I walked pass the Canterbury Tales and after that did some retail therapy in the fabulous shops around town.
Tired of shopping I decided to spend some time sunbathing in Dane John Garden which was basically on the way back to the train station. Last stop before taking the train back to the big smoke I snapped a quick picture of the Norman Castle ruins.
All in all it was an eventful day with enough time to laze around and take in stunning Canterbury, a city everyone with some time up their sleeves should visit as a day trip from London.
- Pros:Lazing about in Dane John Garden
- Cons:Wish the town was a lot bigger, since it's so beautiful
- In a nutshell:Not just the cathedral is worth taking a look at.
Canterbury has two train stations, East and West. Though I believe the East train station is the biggest of the two. I... more travel advice
By now it was time to head back to the train station for I had to meet with a friend again in London around 8pm. Before... more travel advice
martin_nl's Related Pages
Canterbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Stomping Ground !"
- "WHITECLIFFS CANTERBURY TALES"
- "Historical Canterbury."
- "Not really a pilgrimage......."
- "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- "Canterbury and the cathedral"
- "More than just the Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canterbury
- Hotels in Canterbury
- Transportation in Canterbury
- Nightlife in Canterbury
- Restaurants in Canterbury
- Shopping in Canterbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Canterbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canterbury
- 16 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Canterbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canterbury
Photos in CanterburySee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue