"Oxford" Oxford by martin_nl
Oxford Travel Guide: 970 reviews and 2,057 photos
Welcome to my Oxford page. I have been to Oxford last September, and had a great time. I was picked up this day from the Airport in Luton by Alex, a girl I had met while travelling in Australia and we decided to go to Oxford for the afternoon. Yep just the afternoon, which of course was way too short, but nevertheless we were able to see a lot. The afternoon was just great. There were blue skies everywhere, not a single cloud in the sky. Quite a difference to Bangkok, were I was only a day before.
We got to Oxford around noon and parked the car at a carpark close to the Magdalen Bridge, from where we ventured into the city. We walked onto High Street and turned right onto Radcliffe Square. There we hang about for some time and even met Cherrie Blair in the Divinity School ;)) She looked a bit blonder and younger than usual but nevertheless..... Then on to Broad Street browsed through a book shop there and walked to the main shopping street. We had some lunch, fish and chips, in a restaurant in a side street of the shopping street and then continued to the Carfax Tower. We climbed the tower and enjoyed the great view from up there. The tower isn't particularly high, but then again none of the buildings really are in Oxford so the view is still great. Finally we went to Christ Church to look around in this wonderful college where even some scenes of the Harry Potter films were filmed and where Alice in Wonderland came into existence.
Wewere not able to visit any of the other colleges this day since they were all closed for tourists. The day we had picked to take alook around the city was the day of examinations, too bad, but then again we wouldn't have been able to see them because there wasn't enough time anyway.
- Pros:Wonderful architecture
- Cons:Check opening times of the colleges
Unlike the shops on Cornmarket, these are the ones that you can find in any other city, High Street has all sorts of... more travel advice
We found this restaurant of which I don;t know the exact name and location in a side street of the Cornmarket shopping... more travel advice
martin_nl's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "The Gown Town"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 18 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue