"Oxford" Oxford by martin_nl

Oxford Travel Guide: 970 reviews and 2,057 photos

Welcome to my Oxford page. I have been to Oxford last September, and had a great time. I was picked up this day from the Airport in Luton by Alex, a girl I had met while travelling in Australia and we decided to go to Oxford for the afternoon. Yep just the afternoon, which of course was way too short, but nevertheless we were able to see a lot. The afternoon was just great. There were blue skies everywhere, not a single cloud in the sky. Quite a difference to Bangkok, were I was only a day before.

Just one afternoon

We got to Oxford around noon and parked the car at a carpark close to the Magdalen Bridge, from where we ventured into the city. We walked onto High Street and turned right onto Radcliffe Square. There we hang about for some time and even met Cherrie Blair in the Divinity School ;)) She looked a bit blonder and younger than usual but nevertheless..... Then on to Broad Street browsed through a book shop there and walked to the main shopping street. We had some lunch, fish and chips, in a restaurant in a side street of the shopping street and then continued to the Carfax Tower. We climbed the tower and enjoyed the great view from up there. The tower isn't particularly high, but then again none of the buildings really are in Oxford so the view is still great. Finally we went to Christ Church to look around in this wonderful college where even some scenes of the Harry Potter films were filmed and where Alice in Wonderland came into existence.

Wewere not able to visit any of the other colleges this day since they were all closed for tourists. The day we had picked to take alook around the city was the day of examinations, too bad, but then again we wouldn't have been able to see them because there wasn't enough time anyway.

• Pros:Wonderful architecture
  • Cons:Check opening times of the colleges
  • Last visit to Oxford: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2006

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Quite nice, your Oxford pages - the weather is now very different, though...

• doug48's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 6:27 AM

great oxford pics! i see you were there on a rare sunny day. doug48

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Outstanding introduction, and I certainly enjoyed your fine travelogues with the spectacular photographs. The whole site reads like a travel diary; thus, one feels as though we are there with you.

• shutterlust's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 5:25 PM

great photos of Christ Church. I never got a chance to go into the dining hall. My first Harry Potter attempt thwarted! :-/

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Great meeting you in NY. Just checking out some of you pages.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 4:01 AM

Glad you enjoyed Oxford. Our son is studying maths at Magdalen College and has enjoyed the punting (free to Magdalen students.) We hope to look round when we take him back in October.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 3:04 PM

Excellent page, you saw a lot of Oxford in one afternoon. Hope you get the chance to return and see all the colleges, it's well worth it.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 11:08 AM

Ahhh! To be 24 and living in Europe. At least you can travel even with a new job. I'm very jealous of both you and my son!. He spent a summer in Oxford studying ;-) in 1997. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. BTW Italy WAS fantastic...Tom

• Oct 16, 2004 at 7:22 AM

These pics are amazing. Wish I saw Oxford like this when I was there!! Well done :-)

• XueLangZi's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 9:11 AM

I always look forward visit Oxford someday....It looks like a religious city...different culture is absorbing...nice page

martin_nl