"A short afternoon in Uppsala" Uppsala by martin_nl
Uppsala Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 817 photos
After our infamous Roxette Room Service tour that you can read about on my homepage we stayed a week longer in Stockholm. But since we had already been to Stockholm a few times, we thought it would be fun to visit another city. Uppsala was our choice and so we spend half a day here. To start with I can already tell you that half a day is much too short to see this beautiful city, especially when you are visting in autumn or winter. Because of this fact we couldn't see much of the city, but what we saw was stunning. While it was still light we did a very short tour around town the city after which we did some record hunting in some of the many record shops Uppsala has to offer. After that at about 18:00hrs we returned to Stockholm.
On this page most info was taken from http://www.uppsala.se/ the official Uppsala homepage.
No Swedish town has such a long history as Uppsala. Even in the 6th century the area was a stronghold for politics and religion. From here the Vikings set out on their expeditions with their ships and at the pagan temple there were festivals where men and animals were sacrificed to placate the gods. The Svea king himself was the High Priest, a lineal descendant, said to derive his origin from the pagan gods.
Remaining as proof of this there are the burial mounds at Old Uppsala. That is where the Vikings buried three of their kings.
History is always present in Uppsala and the ancient monuments characterize the townscape even today. You will not see any Vikings or warlords in the alleys but their myths and stories will live on. In Old Uppsala you can still attend a " Viking carousal " drinking mead from mead horns and the castle houses a museum of wax figures where historical events are brought to life by means of light and sound effects. The King and his court, however, have moved out and the castle has been converted into a building for the Uppsala residents themselves. Everyone is welcome here. You will among other things find the City art museum, several university institutions and a spacious banqueting hall.
- Pros:Beatifull old buildings
- Cons:Get's dark early in autumn and winter
- In a nutshell:Great city to walk around and relive some of 'Ancient Sweden'
There are a lot of trains going everyday from Stockholm to Uppsala. There are X2000 high speed trains, but less... more travel advice
On display in Sweden's oldest university building, dating from the 1620s, are the university's collections and... more travel advice
martin_nl's Related Pages
Uppsala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite Swedish town"
- "Uppsala by Maline"
- "Historic student city"
- "UPPSALA - An Underrated Unique Scandnavian City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uppsala
- Hotels in Uppsala
- Transportation in Uppsala
- Nightlife in Uppsala
- Restaurants in Uppsala
- Shopping in Uppsala
- Warnings and Dangers in Uppsala
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Uppsala
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Uppsala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uppsala
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: Melbourne to New Zealand"
- Commented on one of Pakistaniguy's Uppsala travel pages
- Wrote a Review Train to Uppsala about Stockholm train in Uppsala Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Train to Uppsala"
- updated a Uppsala Travel Page "A short afternoon in Uppsala"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (71)
Latest Uppsala hotel reviews
- Vandrarhem Uppsala Kungsangstorg
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2012
- Hotell Muttern
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2012
- Park Inn Uppsala
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Basic Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2011
- First Hotel Linne Uppsala
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Svava
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Uppsala
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Clarion Hotel Gillet
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013