"Tintagel Castle and Church" Top 5 Page for this destination Tintagel by martin_nl

Tintagel Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 163 photos

The trip from London to Cornwall

On Friday afternoon we went for a weekend trip to Cornwall. We didn't really have a list of things to do, just that we would be heading to Cornwall and that we would be staying at Porth Beach in Newquay. At a campground we booked already the afternoon before our arrival. The campground had won the "Loo of the Year Award", so sounded perfect. On arrival (5 mins before check in closed) I went to check out the loo and asked Lisette to put the tent up. She said that by the time I got back from the loo the tent would be up. Gotta see that first! Got back from the loo and nothing was up. Lisette said I was going to kill her. I asked her what had happened to which she replied she had forgotten to bring the tent poles!! I replied in disbelief and said things like: How on earth can you forget the poles.... I can't believe it... Shouldn't they be in the same bag etc..." Anyway I didn't feel too stressed about the situation. We would solve it. It resulted in us driving all the way to the next town where they had a Tesco, where we got the very last tent! Can you believe it!!

Drove all the way back again to Newquay by the time we were getting quite hungry. We popped into the Chinese restaurant 5 minuted before closing time and ordered a 12.95 two persons meal which we ate after we set up the tent. What a day!!!

On to Tintagel

We went to bed quite early which resulted in waking up at 7:15am or so. Way too early to get moving went to the loo again and hopped back into bed. Woke up an hour or so later, by which time the temperature in the tent must have risen till about 50 degrees.

Anyway at around 10am we decided to go to Tintagel, home to the legendary King Arthur's Castle. We got there about two hours later, since the traffic on the road was horrible! We spent a couple of hours walking around the castle and surroundings and found the whole place just beautiful! Check out the tips to see for yourself.

• Pros:Amazing surroundings
  • Cons:Too many stairs
  • In a nutshell:A perfect day out
  • Last visit to Tintagel: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2005

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Great pics of Tintagel. I've visited Cornwall many times but never been there. I guess I should go back again soon!

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 4:15 AM

Great photos!! You had great weather, brings back memories of my time in Tintagel, but then it was very windy and overcast. But a nice place!!! For Sure!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 7:54 AM

Wonderful photos. I thought it was the Belgians who ate mayo with chips? I guess English chips are unique...

martin_nl

“It's all good...”

Badges & Stats in Tintagel

Have you been to Tintagel?

Latest Activity in Tintagel