"Nan Tien Temple" Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong by martin_nl

Wollongong Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 586 photos

Largest buddhist temple of the southern hemisphere

I stayed for 2 months in Sydney and on January second 2004, Harm, Tobias and I rented a car for 10 days to drive down to Melbourne. The first stop we made was in Wollongong. Or actually not in Wollongong itself, but in the suburb of Berkeley. Berkeley is the home of the largest Buddhist Temple of the southern hemisphere, the Nan Tien Temple.

The pictures you can see on this page are all made on the rather big complex. It is an amazing place that is sure worth a visit if you travel down the coast from Sydney to Melbourne. We were not sure if we wanted to visit the temple, since we didn't really heard anything about it before. We thought let's give it a go when we saw the road signs and I'm glad we did!!

From Wollongong we continued our way to the beautiful Jervis Bay.

• In a nutshell:Largest Buddhist Temple of the southern hemisphere is a beauty
  • Last visit to Wollongong: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2004

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I love giant Buddhas and pagos...very mystical, thanks for sharing, Norman :)

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Have only seen it from the road on my way into Wollongong.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 3:57 PM

I like it!

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2005 at 9:32 AM

Very cool pics and info about the temple in Berkely! Thanks alot for sharing!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 11:19 AM

This is a very cool little page. Spuer colourful and almost surreal. So is the "Jervis Bay". Looks like you had a beautiful day for photography! Cheers, Ed.

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 2:19 PM

wow,amazing! great page! ...i had no clue a pagode is a resting place,...thought it would be the same as a temple

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2004 at 10:21 AM

I knew Wollongong due to its famous university before visiting your page. Great info about such a glorious temple.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 9:17 AM

The Nan Tien Temple looks very idealic and relaxing, I love the lanterns in the wind photo. Nice page (~_~)

martin_nl

“It's all good...”

Badges & Stats in Wollongong

Have you been to Wollongong?

Latest Activity in Wollongong