"Nan Tien Temple" Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong by martin_nl
Wollongong Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 586 photos
I stayed for 2 months in Sydney and on January second 2004, Harm, Tobias and I rented a car for 10 days to drive down to Melbourne. The first stop we made was in Wollongong. Or actually not in Wollongong itself, but in the suburb of Berkeley. Berkeley is the home of the largest Buddhist Temple of the southern hemisphere, the Nan Tien Temple.
The pictures you can see on this page are all made on the rather big complex. It is an amazing place that is sure worth a visit if you travel down the coast from Sydney to Melbourne. We were not sure if we wanted to visit the temple, since we didn't really heard anything about it before. We thought let's give it a go when we saw the road signs and I'm glad we did!!
From Wollongong we continued our way to the beautiful Jervis Bay.
- In a nutshell:Largest Buddhist Temple of the southern hemisphere is a beauty
The Pagoda is of great spiritual importance to buddhists. Inside the Pagoda you can make a wish and sound the bell. We... more travel advice
Everything in the complex is very symmetric. Just like the courtyard around which the hotel and dining room are situated... more travel advice
martin_nl's Related Pages
Wollongong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is!"
- "a great carmuseum & more"
- "Wollongong - definitely the best of both worlds!"
- "Nan Tien Temple"
- "Wonderful Wollongong"
- "Between the escarpment and the sea"
- "Wollongong and the Illawara"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wollongong
- Hotels in Wollongong
- Transportation in Wollongong
- Nightlife in Wollongong
- Restaurants in Wollongong
- Shopping in Wollongong
- Warnings and Dangers in Wollongong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wollongong
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Wollongong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wollongong
Photos in WollongongSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 85 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 94 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 59 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue