"Third time is the charm" Supai by jenn_d

Supai Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 58 photos

Heaven? Or is it just Supai?

SUPAI is the abbreviated name for the Havasupai Indian Reservation located on the lesser known southern side of the Grand Canyon. The name, loosely translated means: People of the Blue and Green Waters. <p> I have visited this reservation on three seperate occasions and each time I have discovered something new.<p> Getting to Supai is no easy task. The reservation is only accessible by hiking 9 downhill canyon miles or taking a pricey helicopter flight. Once you reach the village the campground is an additional 2 mile hike.Temperatures can soar into the 100's during the day, therefore, hiking in during the evening is the best idea. Bear in mind that you must pack in and out your trash and supplies...in this case, less is more. All you really need is your bathing suit, food and shelter!<p>
The scenery is pretty much the same (rocks, rocks and more rocks)until you reach the outskirts of the village where the Watchers first appear. Legend says that when these two pillars fall so will the civilization of Havasupai.

• Pros:You can almost touch God from here
  • Cons:Has become quite popular within the last decade
  • In a nutshell:Unbelievable Scenery
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2002

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Wow, next time I am around I follow your route, last time I had no time and no spece for needed equipment. Nice tips, thank you.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Oh...I love it. What a place. Can just imagine the stars you saw from the rim...

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 6:59 PM

I'm planning to visit in Oct and after seeing your photos and descriptions...I can't wait! thanks for the great info.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2004 at 11:13 PM

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!!! This is on my to do list. Let me know the next time you go - maybe I'll tag along. :-) "Oh it's just around the corner" hahaha

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2004 at 7:04 PM

A very cool page !!! Your little piece of Eden, eh ? Nice shower pic ;-)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2003 at 8:29 AM

Supai canyon is a very magical place indeed. The creek waters are like bathwater to those who have been rafting on the always cold Colorado for days. Great experiences - at least you didn't have to carry a lot!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 4:51 PM

Wow, what an experience, thank you for sharing it with us.........for my part I wouldn't ever know anything about this place except for your great page. Thanks.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2003 at 3:12 PM

So this is Supai! Now I understand the oft-repeated query "Havasupai?" Beautiful falls in your canyon exploration.

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 1:45 PM

Not many know this name. We went on a raft trip through the canyon with these people. What a thrill that was. Glad to see they get visitors.

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 4:03 PM

Wow! I've been to Arizona but it didn't look like this place! What a great find!

jenn_d