Athens Things to Do Tips by jenn_d
Athens Things to Do: 1,745 reviews and 2,993 photos
Note the Acropilis in the background
Later that afternoon an enormous crane was erected on the Acropolis. It was so large that it could be seen from this very spot.
Directions: Adjacent to the National Gardens
Fellow VT member Guantanamera tells me that as of January 2003 there is now a fence around this monument. The Athens visitor in 2003-2004 will no doubt see plenty of restoration work and scaffoldings as the the city prepares to host the summer Olympic Games in September 2004.
A tiny Lakyvittos looms in the background
Sometimes we need to look beyond what is directly in front of us.
If you haven't already done enough walking I suggest a short hike to the top of Lykavittos Hill-the highest point in Athens
The view from Lykavittos Hill is amazing. From this vantage point I was really able to appreciate the sheer density of the region.
At night the chapel atop the hill is lit up with floodlights.
Address: the other well known hill in Athens!
Temple of Hephaestus
The Agora was the center of Athens politcal and economical activity. It sits in the shadows of the Acropolis and more closely Areopagus Hill. The main monuments are the Temple of Hephastus and the Agora Museum.
Directions: The easiest exit is off of Polygnotou
One of the massive clolumns of the Temple of Olympian Zues. The original temple was the largest in all of Greece and took 700 year to build. It is hard to believe that this column is came crashing down in gale force winds.
If you have time for only one outing, shame on you! But seriously, you cannot visit Athens without visiting the Acropolis.
All of the remaining monuments on the Acropolis have withstood wars, pilfering and the footsteps of countless visitors. These include the Propylaia, Temple of Athena Nike, the Parthenon and the Erecthion. It is amazing to realize that Socrates and Plato meandered in this very place along the Panatheantic Way.
Directions: It's the Acropolis- trust me, you'll find it! There is only one entrance but several approaches. The main walk is up Dionysiou Ave.
Other Contact: If you visit in the morning or e
More Reviews (12)
- See All Dancing in the Streets
- See All Shoe Fetish
- See All Before you go........
- The taxi stand is at the...
jenn_d's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Athens, my city!"
- "My trap!"
- "Athens is full of Archaeological sights & History"
- "Athina mou..."
- "Athens afterwords"
- "The Beginning... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athens
- Hotels in Athens
- Transportation in Athens
- Nightlife in Athens
- Restaurants in Athens
- Shopping in Athens
- Warnings and Dangers in Athens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 20 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 79 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 30 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seal Beach Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sint Maarten Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tamarindo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Manarola Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (92)
- Changing of the Guard- 53 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Lycabettus Hill- 56 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Acropolis- 190 Reviews, 350 Photos
- The Temple of Olympian Zeus- 65 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Ancient and Roman Agora- 152 Reviews, 263 Photos
- Acropolis - Parthenon- 80 Reviews, 151 Photos
- Plaka- 75 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Syntagma Square - Parliament- 79 Reviews, 128 Photos
- Panathenaic Stadium- 34 Reviews, 60 Photos
- The National Garden- 33 Reviews, 73 Photos
See All Athens Things to Do