"Baja Road Trip" Guerrero Negro by Agraichen

Guerrero Negro Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 62 photos

The road trip from San Francisco, CA to Loreto, BCS is long and tedius. The narrow Baja Highway 1 can be nerve racking so it's important not to be tired while driving it. As cattle, goats, donkeys and horses tend to graze free and either stand in the middle or cross the highway at night, driving at night is not recommended.

Guerrero Negro is a little more than half way to Loreto from the border and is a good place to stop for the night to avoid night time driving. Night driving in the Baja can be very dangerous as cattle, goats, horses and mules tend to graze by the roadside and wander onto the road at the most inopportune time. You don't want to see a car after it has collided with a full grown cow.

There are a number of hotels in Guerrero Negro that transients like me use and I've stayed in a few but for the last few years I've always stayed at the "Halfway Inn" (former Desert Inn). The inn is located just off the highway as you pass the miltary base at the entrance to Guerrero Negro.

Rooms are much like those of the hotels in town. Small, spartan, and clean. And most important for me, they are animal friendly sort of. In the past they were very animal friendly but the "new management" is only tolerant for a fee.

When you only stay at a hotel 3-4 times a year, it's telling that they remember your name and greet you like friends. Unfortunately the "manager" has moved on and the new management is not quite as friendly.

• Last visit to Guerrero Negro: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2014

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM

We've been going to Malarrimo for 28 yrs way b4 they had rms, when it was FAB! it has gone way down hill w/all the tourists. Los Carocoles is great if u don't hv pets--see my tip. I can give u a good hotel which takes pets.---30pesos!? it WAS 10!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM

i remember Guerrero Negro. drove through there myself on my last bike trip in mexico :O)

Agraichen Visits Here Frequently!

Agraichen

“"I'm just a natural born travelin' man, doin' what I think I should..."”

Badges & Stats in Guerrero Negro

Have you been to Guerrero Negro?

Latest Activity in Guerrero Negro