"Catavina Oasis" Cataviña by Agraichen
Cataviña Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 28 photos
Driving the Baja highway can be very tiresome. For those that just travel from town to town and explore the trip can take many days. For those that stretch vacation destinations to the limit and then have to make it back somewhere on a time schedule, the trip is nerve racking.
Highway 1 is very narrow and most vehicles travel close to double the posted speed limit.
If you have not been passed (in either direction) by a semi doing 90 Miles per hour (not Kilometers), you have not had "the Baja Driving Experience."
Thus the stop in Catavina on the trip north at the Desert Inn was very welcome even if they do have hard beds and no air conditioning in some rooms.
The "Inn" has apparently been purchased from Fonatur and although the prices have gone up and the food is better, so far not much else has changed.
Behind the Desert Inn is, well, the desert. If you wander around like me looking for photo ops, you will notice a sort of trail leading out to the desert and slightly down hill toward a section that is a dead give-a-way that there is water flowing in the desert; Palm trees in abundance.
Walking down the path I spotted the remnents of settlers from years ago. I was told the ruins were over 150 years old which would probably place them with the Jesuit drive north to build missions in the Californias.
The small canyon created by the water that in May was not running very much proved once again that the desert has it's own method of survival. The core area where the water runs mostly underground has many green plants and lots of fertilizer as the cows, goats, donkeys and horses graze there.
- Pros:Very Picturesque
- Cons:There's not much around except rocks and cactus for miles.
- In a nutshell:Great place to stop for the night.
Driving through the desert can be trying even in the best of circumstances. Combine hot, desert with narrow 2-lane roads... more travel advice
Agraichen's Related Pages
Cataviña Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN the MIDDLE OF EMPTY DESERT"
- "Catavina Oasis"
- "Just when you think you've seen everything -"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cataviña
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Cataviña?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cataviña
Photos in CataviñaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 115 reviews, 307 photos, 4 travelogues
- Danville Intro, 48 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 27 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 22 reviews, 50 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Lexington Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Portland Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Key West Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue