"Hidden paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto by Agraichen
Loreto Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 351 photos
Welcome to the historic village of Loreto, BCS located on the Sea of Cortez about 700 Mi south of the US Border. I came to review vacation property just south of the village and left a land "owner" and a gringo "sold" on the area.
This area is probably a bit similar to Cabo 30+ years ago with ONE major change. Although tourists are desired, the high-rise-mentality is not part of the developement; rather "low rise" walkable neighborhoods are being created. The theme is "sustainability" with regeneration ecosystems being created.
Just think, only 100-200 meters from the Sea of Cortez and you too can experience this paradise.
Once you arrive at Loreto Bay about 9 KM south of Loreto, you are captivated by the scenery, the air quality (I slept better than ever) and you are additionally captivated by the potential for the area; this is the early stages of a tourist destination but it will not have the high-rise hype nor hopefully the traffic. Just a great beach and freindly people to relax with.
Yes there is real estate potential and there will be sales pitches but nothing is "high pressure." You look at the offerings and buy or you just kick back and enjoy the warmth, most of the year and some of the most diverse marine life on the planet.
Travel...well, it's not as adventurisome as the picture denotes but be prepared to stand in line multiple times before boarding and expect another hand check even after the X-Ray check 30 feet prior.
You enter the flight check area after the call for boarding and before walking the tarmac to the plane. The process is very efficient however but there are not many customs people to process the passengers for the Alaska/Horizon turbo-props so be prepared to wait for entrance to the gate.
The NEW terminal has 3 terminals but only 1 is in use by Alaska and Aero Mexico for international flights and a second by a local carrier, Aereo Calafia and also Aereo Mexico for domestic flights. Surprisingly the Aereo Calafia flight to Tijuana (TIJ) is nearly always full.
- Pros:Weather, People
- Cons:Hmmm...gotta think about this one for a while...Ah, mosquitos 7 days after a hurricane.
- In a nutshell:I'm here a few months each year...
Tabor Canyon is a "hike." Starting off in an arroyo full of rocks, it quickly narrows to about 20-30 meters and the... more travel advice
Chef Carlos has a limited but tempting menu. If you prefer, call in advance and order what you want. He will prepare... more travel advice
- See All LTO - Loreto International Airport
- See All Loreto Bay Golf Resort
- See All Layer, Layer, Layer
- See All Central location Hostel
- See All Parking Fees at the Airport
Agraichen's Related Pages
Loreto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden paradise"
- "California's historycal capital"
- "Loreto, Baja California Sur"
- "We're here....now what?"
- "The emergence of Loreto, Baja Mexico"
- "Possibly the most beautiful town in Baja Sur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Loreto
- Hotels in Loreto
- Transportation in Loreto
- Nightlife in Loreto
- Restaurants in Loreto
- Shopping in Loreto
- Warnings and Dangers in Loreto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loreto
- 106 Reviews
- 281 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Loreto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loreto
Photos in LoretoSee All Photos (281)
Videos in LoretoSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 106 reviews, 282 photos, 4 travelogues
- Danville Intro, 48 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 27 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Lexington Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Key West Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Monaco Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues