"Methuen" Methuen by Agraichen

Methuen Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Under Construction - You'd think that since I was born and raised in this town I'd have tons of photos. I do, but they are all prints so I'm in need of much time and a better batch scanner to get digital media.

But...have patience. As the next door neighbor to (Lawrence) the once woolen capital of the northeast, Methuen too has it's claim to fame. Methuen is the home and sole (last I looked) place on earth for the manufacturing of "Polar Fleece".

For those outdoors types, Polar Fleece has been a saviour. Likewise, the owner of the factory was a saviour to his employees when the mill burned down a few years ago.

He kept everyone on the payroll not for a month or two, but the entire year + time it took to rebuild the factory. The toll of his kindness, personal bankrupcy, but he essentially saved the lively hoods of his entire workforce who most likely would have lost their homes or gone bankrupt themselves.

Methuen was the home to two prominent wealthy families; Searles and Tenney. Both have left a legacy of castles (yes, real castles) and estate proprerties to the town.

Tenney High School football stadium. Named for one of the "founding fathers" of Methuen, Tenney, located a couple city blocks away was "the new high school" when I attended in the 1960's.

Today the original site has doubled in size and is the main elementary school for the area. A new high school was erected just next to the stadium to take its place.

• Pros:Small town with lots of history.
  • Cons:New England weather...
  • Last visit to Methuen: Feb 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2008

• glo39's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Nashua pages former neighbor! Happy New Year!

Agraichen

“"I'm just a natural born travelin' man, doin' what I think I should..."”

Badges & Stats in Methuen

Have you been to Methuen?

Latest Activity in Methuen