"Key West" Key West by Agraichen

Key West Travel Guide: 2,042 reviews and 4,038 photos

Mile marker zero. The end or start of the journey. Key West is full of history from the "ship wreckers" of old to Hemingway's haunts to "Spring Break" destination.

This trip did include an evening in Mallory Square for the sunset "festivities" and we had a wonderful sunset (pics posted on another page).

Ok, so tourist trap it is but the Hogs Breath has some great music coming from it. Remember "Hog's breath is better than no breath at all."

May not be a must see for everybody, but it was fun just the same.

If you don't run into the Hemmingway cats, you are certain to meet the local rooster population. They may not run everything, but don't tell them that.. Where else does a flock of roosters and chickens stop traffic...primarily from the tourists laughing at their antics...

• Pros:Quaint; lots of history.
  • Cons:Spring Break when you're over 50....;-)
  • In a nutshell:Gets in your blood; you must return.
  • Last visit to Key West: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2013

Travelogues (1)

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Do you know any cheap hotels on the island? We were looking at a trip there last winter, but we changed our minds, when we saw how expensive the hotels are. I heard there are campgrounds, but you have to book a few weeks in advance. WIll the police harrass you, if you just sleep in your car? It's not our fault their hotels are so expensive.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I would just tell them, "Lower your hotel prices, than I will go to hotel." LOL

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I was thinking about other islands, but Key West is too far for a day trip. I decided it would be best just to book a campsite.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Fun page! reminds me of Turks & Caicos, especially the word "conch"... my toe still black from hitting one on the beach in Turks...:) Conch's delicious though :) Tks for reminding me of Orlando nights! :))

• ymike2000's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2003 at 8:57 AM

Cool Route 1 photo. I drove up to the northern end of that road in Maine a few years back. Looks like there's a lot more to see on the southern end :-) Happy birthday!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2003 at 9:31 PM

Lovely photos... but where are Hemmingway's cats? ;-)

Agraichen

“"I'm just a natural born travelin' man, doin' what I think I should..."”

Badges & Stats in Key West

Have you been to Key West?

Latest Activity in Key West