"Wine weekend get-a-way-" Top 5 Page for this destination Yountville by Agraichen
Yountville Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 111 photos
Two years in the planning..LOL..actually we were given a night at the Napa Valley Lodge almost two years ago as a Christmas Gift. You know the story... maybe next weekend, mabe next month. Since our vacation travels have been curtailed this year due to the evil W(ork) word, we have to get away when we can.
So with carful planning we decided upon a the following weekend (back in April). A call to the Napa Valley Lodge quickly put those plans to rest and we had to chance that the chosen weekend in July would not be interrupted by calls from the "office." Luckily only 3 conference calls on the drive up were the extent of the work for most of the weekend.
Dinner the first night was preplanned as a gift certificate was part of the present. As we had arrived early and the weather was unseasonably warm (Napa can be wonderful in the summer but the weather is rarely in the 100s. It was 98 when we arrived .
A short walk from the hotel brought us to Hurley's, on Washington Street, across from the Yountville "1870 " landmark.
Besides beautiful scenery, visiting the wineries and tasting is the main attraction in the Napa valley (lol...depending on your outlook its slightly ahead of shopping, ballooning, mud baths, hiking and a host of other activities).
This trip we didn't have too much time to "taste," but we did manage to fit in Sterling, located just south of Calistoga. Perched on a small hill, Sterling has incredible views of the valleys. What makes it unique is the cable car, tram ride from the parking lot to the top of the hill.
Once at the top you are normally greated with a glass of wine and an oppoortunity to tour part of the facility. Throughout part of the tour, automated monitors provide an explanation of the wine making process and the activity conducted in the room you are in at the time.
The "end" of the tour lands in the tasting room where for a nominal fee you can taste 3-4 of their wines. The fee is waived (deducted) if you purchase any wine.
Three cases later we headed to our next stop (see "Places of Interest."
- Pros:Wine, scenery, wine, shopping, wine, spas, ah...wine....
- Cons:Right...ok, it does rain in the winter.
Located just across from the YountVille "shopping barn" that has been recreated this is a welcome respite. The drinks... more travel advice
Located in the heart of historic Yountville, CA sits a relatively non-discript two story building, on Washington Street.... more travel advice
Agraichen's Related Pages
Yountville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Up, Up and Away........"
- "You can just smell the wine!!"
- "Wine weekend get-a-way-"
- "Napa - Sonoma - Marin"
- "Welcome to Yountville"
- "Napa Valley, San Francisco's Wine Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yountville
- Hotels in Yountville
- Nightlife in Yountville
- Restaurants in Yountville
- Shopping in Yountville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yountville
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Yountville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yountville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 105 reviews, 277 photos, 4 travelogues
- Danville Intro, 48 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Lexington Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Key West Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Monaco Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues