"Calistoga, CA" Calistoga by Agraichen
Calistoga Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 170 photos
Calistoga is probably best known for it's bottled water and it's hot spring spas. But even better are some of the wineries located in this village at the northern end of Napa county.
One of my favorite wineries is Clos Pegase. Founded by publishing magnate, Jan Shrem and his late wife Mitsuko, the winery is dedicated to creating world class wines and hosting international art.
Pictured is the entrance to the winery with a phenomenon rarely seen by the public that comes to the winery. Most people don't come during the rainy season but that is when you'll see the design of the winery in action.
The roof was created such that during a heavy rain all four corners would drain such that the falling water would converge on the sculpture below. It is quite the sight to observe.
During the "off season" wine club members are offered insider tours of the winery where they get to see what goes on day by day as the wine matures.
Pictured are empty American Oak barrels waiting to receive the years harvest still in the steel tanks pictured in the background.
Clos Pegase probably has one of the finest art collections outside of the San Francisco Art Museum. The owner and his late wife were avid collectors and patrons of the arts.
The painting and sculpture collections that are found around the winery are worth the trip. The great wine just makes the visit more enjoyable.
- Pros:Excellent wine
- Cons:How could there be...
- In a nutshell:One trip is just not enough.
Agraichen's Related Pages
Calistoga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hot Springs, Massage, and Wine"
- "Calistoga of Sarafornia"
- "Old Resort Town With a Hybrid Name"
- "Calistoga California"
- "Calistoga: Spa Town in the Wine Country"
- "Calistoga, CA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calistoga
- Hotels in Calistoga
- Nightlife in Calistoga
- Restaurants in Calistoga
- Shopping in Calistoga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calistoga
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Calistoga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calistoga
Photos in CalistogaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 106 reviews, 282 photos, 4 travelogues
- Danville Intro, 48 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 27 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Lexington Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Key West Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Monaco Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues