"Raiatea" Raiatea by Agraichen
Raiatea Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 190 photos
Riatea is the second largest island in Polynesia, though the largest of the Leeward Islands. The people of the island are very religious as Raiatea was the religious center of all of the Society Islands.
Polynesian mythology teaches that Oro, the god of war and fertility was born in Mt. Temahani, the large flat topped volcano on the northen end of the island.
Even as "large" as it is, one can easily tour the scenic landscape by motor scooter.
The Pentecostal Chjurch Teeva (pictured) was founded in 1803 by Reverend Brown.
Although Raiatea has no "beaches" per se, there are plenty of them on the surrounding motus.
Talking with some people along the way we were told the cars had been placed for a movie set that was being shot in the area.
Sure enough on our return trip two years later, the cars were gone, but so was most of the sand that had been built up to hold them.
There are many sites along the coast with petroglyphs carved in basaltic stone. There are over 120 varieties of turtle shapes recorded in addition to fish, boats, and even human faces.
- Pros:Great food; wonderful historical landscape; fun people
- Cons:Right...82 degrees year round? There are cons?
- In a nutshell:I'm going back...
We decided to do a bit of 4-wheeling in the mountains; this time around with a guide that could tell us about the area.... more travel advice
Agraichen's Related Pages
Raiatea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raiatea ... The Sacred Island"
- "Polynesia's "Party Central!""
- "Paradise on earth... Le paradis sur terre..."
- "Close to Tahiti but far from the crowds..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Raiatea
- Hotels in Raiatea
- Transportation in Raiatea
- Restaurants in Raiatea
- Shopping in Raiatea
- Warnings and Dangers in Raiatea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Raiatea
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Raiatea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Raiatea
Photos in RaiateaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 106 reviews, 282 photos, 4 travelogues
- Danville Intro, 48 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 27 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Lexington Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Key West Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Monaco Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues