"Long...Slow...Distance........" Agraichen's Profile

My World.......

Current Events...

Gypsy night and Carnival in downtown Loreo.

Current Upcoming Happenings

Mar - Loreto Food and Wine Festival

Most Recent Happenings.

2014

Mar Gypsy Night
Feb - Road trip... Loreto, Todos Santos, Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, Los Barilles, Loreto. Whirlwind tour for a charity event in Loreto.
Jan - May - Loreto, BCS

Jul - Julian, CA
Jun - Loreto BCS via San Ignacio
May - Portland OR
May - Sedona, AZ
Feb-Mar - Loreto, BCS - Gypsy night. A fun time with food from most every restaurant in town complete with dancing followed by the Loreto Wine and Food Festival fund raiser for the community hospital.
Feb - San Francisco - quick trip to see Wicked (again). Great theater production.
Jan - Loreto, BCS - Bringing in the New Year with a great group of friends around a blazing bonfire on the Sea of Cortez.

2012

Dec - Loreto, BCS - One of the colder winters in the Baja.
Nov - Portland, OR. Thanksgiving Dinner with my daughter
Oct - Yucca, AZ Dude Ranch. The place is quite nice and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes to ride or wander the desert in Arizona.
Oct - Scottsdale, AZ - Great drive across CA and AZ to attend a friends wedding.
Sep - Loreto BCS - Arrived after one hurricane just in time to hear another tropical storm was headed in. 8 inches of rain in 2 days made for some over flowing arroyos.
Aug - Not one but two road trips from San Diego to Portland OR. Great trip but not enough time to enjoy the various towns along the way.
Jun - Chula Vista Discovery Center - Great small venue dedicated to providing education and preservation about the animals that inhabit the San Diego area.
Apr-May: Loreto, BCS. The new fountain in the renovated "town center" in Loreto Bay has turned out better than I thought. I
Mar - Moved from SF East Bay (Danville) to Eastlake district of Chula Vista. It's a sign that you have collected too much stuff when Goodwill employees know you by name when you stop by to donate things.

Notable Events in our (former) home town:

On a rainy day in Danville, thousands of town residents turned out with EVERY major TV station in the SF Bay Area to pay tribute and welcome home Sully Sullenberger, the pilot of the US Airways jet that "landed" in the Huson River last week. ALL 155 people aboard the aircraft survived.

Now back to reality...

Cronicles of the family:

After a pretty good career in Hollywood as an Assistant Director, my daughter decided that Medicine was her future so back to school she went. She's now enduring the rigors of 24x7 studies at Oregon Health Sciences University.

Now back to the more mundane stuff like my history and how I began traveling.

I tend to think I grew up traveling. In New England, USA, you can see a lot without driving too far so even a weekend is enough for a "short vacation" and it could be done inexpensively.

Trips to surrounding states could be done in just a few hours so on my father's occasional day off, we'd pack the car and just drive. Where ever we ended up at the end of the day is where we stayed for the night. Explored a bit the next day and returned home.

Later we began vacationing on Newfound Lake in Bristol, NH. After a few years of renting a cabin we acquired a small house near the lake and my summers were spent in "another world." After chores, I had the freedom to wander the Apalachian Mt. Range trail heads or swim in the lake or mountain streams which filled me with a desire to wander.

Fortunately I've been able to travel widely throughout the years, but there's more out there waiting and I hope to cover a bit more. 2012 was the year of change as I moved from the SF Bay area to the greater San Diego area. After almost 40 years in one location, the change is difficult yet refreshing. I'll begin developing more SD pages as I get aquainted with my new "home."

Former Home

Winter in No. CA sometimes provides a few "cold" days. Just enough to leave a bit of snow on "our" mountain. Only 3849 feet high, Mt. Diablo has the unique ability to allow people to see more land mass of the US than from the top than from any other peak in the world with the exception of Mt Kilimanjaro.

This phenonomon has something to do with the mountain's location and the fact that much of the "central valley" of California is quite flat. On a clear day you can see the Sierras to the east, the Ocean to the west, Mt. Shasta to the north and almost to Bakersfield to the south.

Locals dropping in...

The resident varmits have decided to migrate by my back door (well better these guys than the wild boar that are beginning to show up on the mountain).

They must know that in CA, you can't do much with a wild Turkey (legally) other than shoo it away (but don't try it with a hen herding chicks) or just sit back and enjoy the gobble (even at 4:00 AM)....... one year on Thanksgiving morning 3 dozen showed up for "breakfast" along with 4 deer.

"The Zoo"

It's hard to believe Merlin is now just over 6 years old. Unfortunately due to our "downsizing" and moving to San Diego, Merlin went to a new home that wanted to compete with a great horse. We miss him and all the others.

My Favorite Web Sites...

US Government Travel Warnings - Travel warnings form the US State Department.

Loreto Bay Video - Great travel video of the Loreto area. This prepares you for the Baja experience.

Explorer's Corner - Home of Extreme travel. - Once you meet Olaf and Marie, you will be sold on this unique type of travel to the most obscure and interesting places that very few have experienced.

JAlbum - this is great free software for building photo albums "easily." It takes a bit of getting used to.

Meeting Planner and Multi-time Zone calculator - For the multi-time zone meeting planning or just finding what time it is somewhere else on VT.

US White House Web Page - I was fortunate enough to have managed the group that created the orignal page. There was a Democratic Unix guru, a Republican security guru, and a very Independent and fantastic Editor that loved to get the other two into "debates."

Time for R&R - I worked with the owners of this travel site some time ago. They always have local hints and tips for places to visit that are fun.

Malin's National Anthem Page on VT - What a wonderful tribute to all the countries of the world.

A wonderful tribute to NYC - There's not much to say..just listen, watch and read.

A great dive trip to the Galapagos - Incredible sealife shots. If you haven't been to the Galapagos, put it on your 10 list.

Hunt for Travel this is a great travel site by a retire traveler that was given a video camera when he retire. The results are documented here.

SF VT On the "GO"

SF VT Madness Blowout -Part Deux.

June 25 SF..SF VT Part Deux Only SF VT can consistently outdo itself. This evening was a few hours of dancing and gambling (for fun money) on SF Bay.

VT HOSTED a fabulous time in Mahattan Beach, CA; KUDOs to the "Brains behind the machine."

And er...well..it seems some members always have more fun than others...

• Intro Updated Mar 18, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Agraichen's Profile Photo

Agraichen

“"I'm just a natural born travelin' man, doin' what I think I should..."”

Real Name