"My Kelowna :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna by dinhyen
Kelowna Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 188 photos
Kelowna is a picturesque town in the heart of BC's Okanagan Valley. In days of old, the main industry of the region was fruit-growing. Today, orchards and vineyards still dot the landscape, but the region's focus has shifted towards tourism. Lake Okanagan, which forms the western border of Kelowna, is a popular recreational area. The heart of the city, formerly the warehouse district, has also been revitalized and is now home to many cultural attractions and even a casino.
We stayed in Winfield, about 15 minutes north of Kelowna, for a week. The area has very pleasant weather, perfect for relaxation and for retirees, of whom there are many :) By the end of the week we were itching to get back on the road.
Ogopogo is a legendary monster which inhabits Lake Okanagan. It's reminiscent of Nessie in Scotland: it's got a serpentine body and a long neck that cranes out of the water, and it's about as elusive as Elvis. Numerous sightings have been reported over the years but there are no concrete evidence. If you happen to be by the lake, keep an eye out for him.
"On the Beach", a group of 5 bronze sunbathing figures by Geert Maas, has a permanent home on the Waterfront Park. The well-known artist favors abstract shapes fashioned in mixed media. He maintains a gallery in Kelowna, Geert Maas' Sculpture Garden and Gallery, where visitors can explore some of his remarkable works.
- Pros:Tourist-friendly town; pleasant weather; abundance of fresh fruit and vegetable; many family-oriented recreational activities.
- Cons:Perhaps just a little too family-oriented :)
- In a nutshell:Don't expect to be blown away by the nightlife here.
The Okanagan Valley is dotted with regional parks, many of which are more than recreational areas but also rich in... more travel advice
Well, we're in garden country, so were you expecting something else? :) The Elysium Garden is an elegant, well-manicured... more travel advice
dinhyen's Related Pages
Kelowna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GREAT LOCATION ON OKANAGAN LAKE!"
- "Kelowna, in the sunny Okanagan Valley"
- "My Kelowna :)"
- "Kelowna- Ripe with Surprises"
- "The urban centre of the Okanagan Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kelowna
- Hotels in Kelowna
- Transportation in Kelowna
- Nightlife in Kelowna
- Restaurants in Kelowna
- Shopping in Kelowna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kelowna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kelowna
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kelowna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kelowna
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues