"Urk" Urk by dinhyen
Urk Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 47 photos
Urk's connection to the sea was unarguably stronger than most, as the town was formerly an island. The land mass around the island had been reclaimed from the sea, and nowadays one can drive to town instead of having to swim. It was definitely a strange experience walking on fertile fields that should have been underwater.
This is the monument to fishermen lost at sea. The statue depicts a woman waiting in vain for her loved one to return. On the bronze plaques around the statue were engraved the names of hundreds of those who never came back.
Along the "shoreline", roughly where the statue's gaze was directed, one could see a row of modern windmills, the wind-driven turbines.
I also saw a Chinese restaurant in Urk. This was another confirmation of my theory that one can always find a Chinese restaurant anywhere :)
dinhyen's Related Pages
Urk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amazing island even now it's not an island anymore"
- "Urk, the old island"
- "Traditional costumes of Urk"
- "Southernsee village becomes Southernlake village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Urk
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Urk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urk
Photos in UrkSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues