"Memorable Innsbruck" Innsbruck by dinhyen

Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,139 reviews and 2,564 photos

Innsbruck is most well-known as a winter resort and as the site of the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympics. As we visited in the summertime, we couldn't experience any of its winter wonderland. However, to us it still exudes old-world attraction together with a vibrant mix of culture and charming architectural style.

Places like Salzburg and Rothenburg are known for their lovely cast-iron signs that adorn shopfronts. I was pleasantly surprised to see such a splendid array of them in Innsbruck.

Celebrity sighting

The square in front of the Goldenes Dachl is a pedestrian-only zone filled with cafes and restaurants. While here I had my sole celebrity sighting on this trip. As I walked towards the Old Town Tower, I almost ran into a tower.. the Fawlty Tower himself: it was John Cleese! At least I thought it was my favorite Python (well, actually I like Palin more). He had the right height, the right look, the moustache, and clear glasses. He was with a much shorter woman I did not recognize. Of all the places to run into him. To this day I'm still kicking myself for my reaction, which was none, nada, nichts. I just stood there dumbly. "Cleese" held out his hand, politely motioning me to move past him. So I numbly did. He strode away as I look back. Hmm, his walk did not look funny at all.

• Pros:Lots of museum; great pedestrian zone; attractive architecture; to-die-for cast-iron signs
  • Cons:Altstadt may be hard to find from the motorway; Few parking spots
  • In a nutshell:Irresistible Austrian charm
  • Last visit to Innsbruck: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2003

dinhyen

“Say cheese!”

Badges & Stats in Innsbruck

Have you been to Innsbruck?

Latest Activity in Innsbruck