"Memorable Innsbruck" Innsbruck by dinhyen
Innsbruck Travel Guide: 1,140 reviews and 2,562 photos
Innsbruck is most well-known as a winter resort and as the site of the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympics. As we visited in the summertime, we couldn't experience any of its winter wonderland. However, to us it still exudes old-world attraction together with a vibrant mix of culture and charming architectural style.
Places like Salzburg and Rothenburg are known for their lovely cast-iron signs that adorn shopfronts. I was pleasantly surprised to see such a splendid array of them in Innsbruck.
The square in front of the Goldenes Dachl is a pedestrian-only zone filled with cafes and restaurants. While here I had my sole celebrity sighting on this trip. As I walked towards the Old Town Tower, I almost ran into a tower.. the Fawlty Tower himself: it was John Cleese! At least I thought it was my favorite Python (well, actually I like Palin more). He had the right height, the right look, the moustache, and clear glasses. He was with a much shorter woman I did not recognize. Of all the places to run into him. To this day I'm still kicking myself for my reaction, which was none, nada, nichts. I just stood there dumbly. "Cleese" held out his hand, politely motioning me to move past him. So I numbly did. He strode away as I look back. Hmm, his walk did not look funny at all.
- Pros:Lots of museum; great pedestrian zone; attractive architecture; to-die-for cast-iron signs
- Cons:Altstadt may be hard to find from the motorway; Few parking spots
- In a nutshell:Irresistible Austrian charm
The river Inn is just steps away from the old town. Here you'll find the row of colorful facades. more travel advice
The City Tower is the tallest structure in the Old Town and gives you a wonderful panorama of the city. Innsbruck... more travel advice
dinhyen's Related Pages
Innsbruck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Innsbruck is a lot more than just a golden roof"
- "The Beautiful town of Innsbruck"
- "Innsbruck - the capital city of Tirol"
- "Innsbruck +++ Lovely town and great skijumping :)"
- "INNSBRUCK A NICE CITY AT ALPS!"
- "Innsbruck a wonderful place in the middle of Tirol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Innsbruck
- Hotels in Innsbruck
- Transportation in Innsbruck
- Nightlife in Innsbruck
- Restaurants in Innsbruck
- Shopping in Innsbruck
- Warnings and Dangers in Innsbruck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Innsbruck
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Innsbruck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Innsbruck
- updated a Innsbruck Travelogue "Promenade in Innsbruck"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Promenade in Innsbruck"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Re: Vietnamese menu"
- Commented on one of Sharrie's Innsbruck travel pages
- Wrote a Review Colorful houses along the river about At the river Inn in Innsbruck Things to Do
Photos in InnsbruckSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Latest Innsbruck hotel reviews
- Hilton Innsbruck
- 392 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hotel Weisses Kreuz
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Pension Paula
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Pension Bistro
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Altpradl Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Hotel Maria Theresia
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Bon Alpina
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Gasthof Engl
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Pension Zillertal
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Goldener Loewe
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Sep 7, 2003
- Best Western Hotel Mondschein
- 199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Jugendherberge Reichenau
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2013
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Ibis Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Romantik Hotel Schwarzer Adler
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013