"Canyon du Verdon" Castellane by dinhyen
Castellane Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 41 photos
The Canyon du Verdon isn't listed as a location on VT, so I'll include it here.
Long before we arrived at the town, we could see the steeple of a church perched on a massive monolith looming over Castellane. But as it turned out, the town with such a formidable and romantic name wasn't at all! Rather it was a relatively unassuming town with shops, restaurants, and pharmacies just like one would see elsewhere in France. Nevertheless, after just a short drive outside Castellane, the road entered narrow, steep gorge and began to snake alongside a fast moving stream beneath overhanging rock faces. Then we knew that we we encroaching the grandest Canyon in Europe.
I had seen the impossibly beautiful canyons in the southwestern USA, so I was prepared for the scale of what we saw. But I was taken a back by its sheer beauty. Instead of a barren, red, alien-like landscape, the canyon was covered from top to bottom with the luxuriant green of vegetation.
The road winds along seemingly sheer rock faces. Many pull-outs along the route allow visitors to enjoy the scenery. The north and south rims are connected by an amazing bridge. I am sure there are many hiking trails here as well.
- Pros:The scenery
- Cons:Takes a while to get here
- In a nutshell:Must-see, even if you're not the "nature type"
dinhyen's Related Pages
Castellane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canyon Du Verdon and Castellane"
- "Canyon du Verdon"
- "15-16 February 2008 in Castellane"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castellane
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Castellane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castellane
Photos in CastellaneSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues