"Canyon du Verdon" Castellane by dinhyen

Castellane Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 67 photos

The Canyon du Verdon isn't listed as a location on VT, so I'll include it here.

Long before we arrived at the town, we could see the steeple of a church perched on a massive monolith looming over Castellane. But as it turned out, the town with such a formidable and romantic name wasn't at all! Rather it was a relatively unassuming town with shops, restaurants, and pharmacies just like one would see elsewhere in France. Nevertheless, after just a short drive outside Castellane, the road entered narrow, steep gorge and began to snake alongside a fast moving stream beneath overhanging rock faces. Then we knew that we we encroaching the grandest Canyon in Europe.

I had seen the impossibly beautiful canyons in the southwestern USA, so I was prepared for the scale of what we saw. But I was taken a back by its sheer beauty. Instead of a barren, red, alien-like landscape, the canyon was covered from top to bottom with the luxuriant green of vegetation.

The road winds along seemingly sheer rock faces. Many pull-outs along the route allow visitors to enjoy the scenery. The north and south rims are connected by an amazing bridge. I am sure there are many hiking trails here as well.

• Pros:The scenery
  • Cons:Takes a while to get here
  • In a nutshell:Must-see, even if you're not the "nature type"
  • Last visit to Castellane: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2004

Comments

dinhyen

“Say cheese!”

Badges & Stats in Castellane

Have you been to Castellane?

Latest Activity in Castellane