"Hoi An" Hoi An by dinhyen
Hoi An Travel Guide: 819 reviews and 1,765 photos
Hoi An is a small town roughly 30km south of Da Nang. In the 15th, 16th, and 17th century it was a major trading port between East Asia and Europe. Merchants came here from China, Japan, Spain, Portugal, France, and Holland. Because of its international influence, the city has an eclectic mix of architecture, with heavy Chinese and Japanese influence and a hearty mix of European style thrown in. The Portuguese called it Faifo.
Much of the town's merchant quarters are preserved as cultural heritage. Many of the buildings appear as they did 500 years ago, and in some cases have been occupied continuously since then.
An ancestral altar in the Fujian-style meeting house. Fujian immigrants came by boats from China. There is also a shrine to the sea goddess here.
- Pros:Architectural and historical curiosity
- Cons:It's hot inside those wooden buildings in the summer
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit if you're in the area
This is the main hall inside the complex. A central shrine is toward the back. more travel advice
dinhyen's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Photos in Hoi AnSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues