"Hoa Lu & Tam Coc" Ninh Binh by dinhyen
Ninh Binh Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 224 photos
There are 3 locations in this southern edge of the Red River delta that tourists would most likely visit. Hoa Lu is the ancient capital of Vietnam, preceding Thang Long (present-day Hanoi), dating to the 10th century. Here you can find temples and shrines dedicated to the Dinh and Le kings. Hoa Lu's mountainous terrain offered it excellent defensive capability against an invaders. However, it also limited commercial development, a primary factor leading to the relocation of the capital to Thang Long. Legends has it that the king Dinh Tien Hoang, as a boy, would organize mock battles with other kids, fighting with bamboo sticks.
Tam Coc a little further on is remarkable for its astonishing limestone formations. The terrain resembles Ha Long Bay so much that Tam Coc has been nicknamed "Ha Long on land".
Bich Dong is a nearby cave. I haven't visited Bich Dong, but have heard that it's remote and rather unremarkable.
Gate to the shrine to the 10th-century Dinh dynasty.
Tiny boat plying the waters of Tam Coc
- Pros:Breathtaking scenery; historical shrines and monuments
- Cons:Pesky local vendors
Tam Coc refers to 3 "caves" that lie along the waterway. Each "cave" is actually more like a water-filled tunnel. The... more travel advice
dinhyen's Related Pages
Ninh Binh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Loved Ninh Binh"
- "Hoa Lu & Tam Coc"
- "Ninh Binh---another Ha Long Bay?"
- "Provincial dust ball"
- "Hoa Lu & Tam Coc - Good Mix of History and Nature"
- "Around Ninh Binh"
- "From Hoa Lu to Tam Coc"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ninh Binh
- Hotels in Ninh Binh
- Transportation in Ninh Binh
- Restaurants in Ninh Binh
- Warnings and Dangers in Ninh Binh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ninh Binh
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ninh Binh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ninh Binh
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 57 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hue Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues