"Rietavas - my home town" Rietavas by satara

Rietavas Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 31 photos

A perfect place to grow up

It's a small town in western part of Lithuania, not so far from the Baltic sea, situated on both sides of river Jura (which in Lithuanian means "sea"). Easy accessible from the highway Kaunas-Klaipeda.

On June 21, 2003 Rietavas celebrated 750 years jubilee!!!

The name of Rietavas is said to have some origins.

1. One story says that two men were going by a carriages drawn by the horses. They met on the hill and stopped for a talk. Suddenly one saw the wheel rolling down the hill and shouted "reid tava" (in Lithuanian it would be "rieda tavo", because Rietavas is in Western part of Lithuania and people speak here "zemaiciu" mother tongue, in English it would mean "it's yours rolling" thinking about the wheel). So the palce got it's name as Rietavas.

2. The second story, which is less popular is related to the river Jura which has its origin North to Rietavas lands. It is said that the place was called Rietavas because the river was surrounding this place and the name originated from Lithuanian word "riesti, riecia".

I still remember I was asked to think of more possible Rietavas name explanations when I was little kid at school... But can't remember now of anything else..

Changes are for good and for bad

I lived in Rietavas since my childhood till I graduated the high school. And it seemed that the time has stopped there - the place was changing but I didn't notice the change as I was the part of it. But now, when for 5 years I live far away from my hometown, whenever I come back home (once in three months usually), I see so many changes going on there..
From a small quiet town it became still small and still quiet, but modern center of the region, has its own municipality and fulfills its own development projects. But on the other hand, I feel like it's not the place I was born anymore - too many changes, too many novations to accept them in the couple days visit..

Rietavas view from the place where I lived

I live on one hill and Rietavas is situated on another hill. Between these two hills lies a meadow which local people call "Siberian" because of its cold winds during winter and autumn times - wind is free to show all its power because the place is very flat and empty.
It's really a majestic look of these huge white clouds over the "Siberian" meadow..

• Pros:Small and quiet town in Western Lithuania, 50 km from the Baltic sea, on the right of highway Kaunas-Klaipeda
  • Cons:fascinating local "zemaiciu" mother tongue is difficult to understand
  • In a nutshell:The best place to visit if you want to see the real Lithuanian small town or countryside
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2004

• Dany_Kulta's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2003 at 1:03 PM

I couldn't imagine to find infos abotu Rietavas :) Great :) I have friends there :)

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2003 at 2:12 AM

Nice, complete and very personal. I hope I find time to see R. on my next visit to Lithuania!

• Loeffle's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2003 at 12:05 PM

Lovely town, lovely people! How was the jubilee? Hope you are well! BW Andreas

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2003 at 8:46 AM

What an exciting place to grow up in - it is a wonderful page about a wonderful place!

• vytisknight's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2003 at 3:50 PM

Beautiful pictures and excellent information...........

satara

“Experience, experience and once more experience”

Badges & Stats in Rietavas

Have you been to Rietavas?

Latest Activity in Rietavas