"Rietavas - my home town" Rietavas by satara
Rietavas Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 31 photos
It's a small town in western part of Lithuania, not so far from the Baltic sea, situated on both sides of river Jura (which in Lithuanian means "sea"). Easy accessible from the highway Kaunas-Klaipeda.
On June 21, 2003 Rietavas celebrated 750 years jubilee!!!
The name of Rietavas is said to have some origins.
1. One story says that two men were going by a carriages drawn by the horses. They met on the hill and stopped for a talk. Suddenly one saw the wheel rolling down the hill and shouted "reid tava" (in Lithuanian it would be "rieda tavo", because Rietavas is in Western part of Lithuania and people speak here "zemaiciu" mother tongue, in English it would mean "it's yours rolling" thinking about the wheel). So the palce got it's name as Rietavas.
2. The second story, which is less popular is related to the river Jura which has its origin North to Rietavas lands. It is said that the place was called Rietavas because the river was surrounding this place and the name originated from Lithuanian word "riesti, riecia".
I still remember I was asked to think of more possible Rietavas name explanations when I was little kid at school... But can't remember now of anything else..
I lived in Rietavas since my childhood till I graduated the high school. And it seemed that the time has stopped there - the place was changing but I didn't notice the change as I was the part of it. But now, when for 5 years I live far away from my hometown, whenever I come back home (once in three months usually), I see so many changes going on there..
From a small quiet town it became still small and still quiet, but modern center of the region, has its own municipality and fulfills its own development projects. But on the other hand, I feel like it's not the place I was born anymore - too many changes, too many novations to accept them in the couple days visit..
I live on one hill and Rietavas is situated on another hill. Between these two hills lies a meadow which local people call "Siberian" because of its cold winds during winter and autumn times - wind is free to show all its power because the place is very flat and empty.
It's really a majestic look of these huge white clouds over the "Siberian" meadow..
- Pros:Small and quiet town in Western Lithuania, 50 km from the Baltic sea, on the right of highway Kaunas-Klaipeda
- Cons:fascinating local "zemaiciu" mother tongue is difficult to understand
- In a nutshell:The best place to visit if you want to see the real Lithuanian small town or countryside
The exit gate from Rietavas Oginskiai park is decorated with symbol of Rietavas - golden lion sculpture. There can be... more travel advice
In this building duke Oginskis established the first power-station in Lithuania and thanks to him the first electricity... more travel advice
satara's Related Pages
Rietavas Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Rietavas
- Transportation in Rietavas
- Restaurants in Rietavas
- Warnings and Dangers in Rietavas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rietavas
- 23 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rietavas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rietavas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 58 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Termoli Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pavia Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Corsica Intro, 25 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rietavas Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Birstonas Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Milan Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Klaipeda Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Palena Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos