"Mengwi" Mengwi by Mangunsong
Mengwi Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 63 photos
Mengwi is famous for the unique state temple Pura Taman Ayun. This was the most important temple in the Mengwi kingdom before Mengwi was conquered by the neighbors Badung and Tabanan in 1891, and was at that time a large kingdom stretching all the way to East Java. Taman Ayun was built in 1634 of the king I Gusti Agung Anom and restored in 1937. The temple consists of an "island" surrounded by water channels and a garden complex, the buildings are made up of about 50 different structures. Contrary to other temples on Bali this one is oriented towards Gunung Batukau, not Gunung Agung.
Taman Ayun means "beautiful garden" and you can easily spend some time walking around here. The counsel of elders meet in this temple, gamelan orchestra plays their music, and offerings and prayers are made to the many gods. Inside the temple there is a large "wantilan", a building where cultural performances are held almost every evening.
Next to Taman Ayun lays an art center and a small museum, and also a restaurant. Mengwi is located about 18 km from Denpasar, and a visit here can be combined with other attractions in this area and easily be seen on a daytrip from the tourist centers on southern Bali.
Mangunsong's Related Pages
Mengwi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pura Taman Ayun"
- "MENGWI My Third Hometown"
- "Mengwi, Bali"
- "Mengwi & Taman Ayun"
- "Under Construction-Pura Taman Ayun Temple"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mengwi
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mengwi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mengwi
Photos in MengwiSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Jakarta Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banten Province Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Riau Province Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Surabaya Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Jambi Province Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Bandung Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Malang Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Padang Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos