"Purwokerto" Purwokerto by Mangunsong
Purwokerto Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 35 photos
Purwokerto, city in central western Indonesia, in the central region of the island of Java. Located in the province of Central Java, Purwokerto lies south of Mount Slamet and 50 km (30 mi) northeast of the port of Tjilatjap on the south coast of Java. The city is a center for small-scale production of goods that are sold locally, and many businesses operate out of homes. The region around Purwokerto is one of Java's poorest. Most of the rural population farms wet rice on a subsistence level, and Purwokerto serves as a market and provider of services for these people. Purwokerto is on a railway line running from Tegal on the north coast to near the south coast, where it connects to the BandungYogyakarta- line. The route to the Baturaden resort on the southern slopes of Mount Slamet passes through Purwokerto. The city is home to Jenderal Soedirman University, founded in 1963. During Indonesia's colonial period (which ended in 1949), Purwokerto was a center for indigo, tea, coffee, and rubber plantations. In 1936 it became an administrative city.
Mangunsong's Related Pages
Purwokerto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I had lived there for 2.5years"
- "Baturraden near Purwokerto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Purwokerto
- Hotels in Purwokerto
- Transportation in Purwokerto
- Restaurants in Purwokerto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Purwokerto
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Purwokerto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Purwokerto
Top 10 Pages
- Jakarta Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banten Province Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Riau Province Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Surabaya Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Jambi Province Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Bandung Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Malang Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Padang Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos