"Franconia Loses an Old Friend" Franconia by RhondaRuth

Franconia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 109 photos

It was a sad day to hear about ...

The Old Man of the Mountain Collapses

To think about the Old Man being gone is sad and yet unreal to me. He was a stern and soaring stone face that was New Hampshire's most recognizeable symbol. The 40-foot-high profile, formed of five granite ledges in New Hampshire's White Mountains in a process that started some 200 million years ago, was reported missing by a trail crew working near the town of Franconia Saturday, morning (May 3, 2003). He was something that had been there all of my life ... and now he's gone!

The "Old Man" adorns the New Hampshire emblem, its quarter and countless signs, souvenirs and visitor brochures, helping attract million of people per year to an area popular with hikers and skiers.

Franconia Notch

The American Lung Association use to have a fund raisier Walk here every Fall for the past 6 years. This year they didn't have it here, but I'm hoping they go back to it. It's a wonderful event that my husband enjoy volunteering to work for. I would volunteer to do photography or to do the walk, raising money for the Associations programs. My step daughter was one of the Volunteer Medics. This was a great FAMILY event!

Mother Nature Has Reclaimed The Old Man of the Mountain
visit .... http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/

• Pros:Beautiful views and sounds of nature
  • Cons:Unpredictable Weather
  • In a nutshell:A place to "get back to nature".
  • Last visit to Franconia: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated May 23, 2003

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 8:13 AM

I am glad I saw the old man before his demise. This is an area that I love, and your pages certainly do it justice.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 12:04 PM

nature, nature...wonderful tribute to the Old Man, thanx for sharing

• beret's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2003 at 7:30 AM

The Old man.... Saw it years ago. Always thought to go back. Sigh. Thanks for the pic.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2003 at 12:43 PM

A great looking area! The same thing happened to one of my childhood favourite rocks (Split Rock) along the Bay of Fundy coast!

• dinhyen's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2003 at 11:43 AM

I can't believe the Old Man is gone either. But this is still a great area for activities and sightseeing. Thanks for the bike trail tip, I didn't know that you can bike here.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2003 at 10:41 AM

It's sad to think that the Old Man is gone! I spent alot of time in the area as a kid! I love the Franconia area...Hopefully I'll be there this summer!

• BabciaMaine's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2003 at 10:05 AM

great photos and new info Thanks !

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2003 at 2:00 AM

It looks so beautiful and peaceful, great travelogues also.

RhondaRuth

“Wait up -- I need to take just one more picture!”

Badges & Stats in Franconia

Have you been to Franconia?

Latest Activity in Franconia