"Franconia Loses an Old Friend" Franconia by RhondaRuth
Franconia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 109 photos
The Old Man of the Mountain Collapses
To think about the Old Man being gone is sad and yet unreal to me. He was a stern and soaring stone face that was New Hampshire's most recognizeable symbol. The 40-foot-high profile, formed of five granite ledges in New Hampshire's White Mountains in a process that started some 200 million years ago, was reported missing by a trail crew working near the town of Franconia Saturday, morning (May 3, 2003). He was something that had been there all of my life ... and now he's gone!
The "Old Man" adorns the New Hampshire emblem, its quarter and countless signs, souvenirs and visitor brochures, helping attract million of people per year to an area popular with hikers and skiers.
The American Lung Association use to have a fund raisier Walk here every Fall for the past 6 years. This year they didn't have it here, but I'm hoping they go back to it. It's a wonderful event that my husband enjoy volunteering to work for. I would volunteer to do photography or to do the walk, raising money for the Associations programs. My step daughter was one of the Volunteer Medics. This was a great FAMILY event!
Mother Nature Has Reclaimed The Old Man of the Mountain
visit .... http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/
- Pros:Beautiful views and sounds of nature
- Cons:Unpredictable Weather
- In a nutshell:A place to "get back to nature".
Mile after mile of roads & trails thru this area of New Hampshire for cycling, walking or even rollerblading. And of... more travel advice
Either stay in one of the upstair historical rooms in the main house or stay in one of their fireplaced cottages out... more travel advice
RhondaRuth's Related Pages
Franconia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Franconia Loses an Old Friend"
- "Life in the White Mountains"
- "The Flume Gorge"
- "The "Alps of America""
- "Franconia (or fun at slow shutter speeds)"
- "The White Mountains of New Hampshire"
- "rwaksberg's new Franconia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franconia
- Hotels in Franconia
- Transportation in Franconia
- Restaurants in Franconia
- Warnings and Dangers in Franconia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Franconia
- 5 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Franconia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franconia
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: VTML - HTML"
- updated a Franconia Travel Page "Franconia Loses an Old Friend"
- Commented on one of dinhyen's Franconia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Franconia Loses an Old Friend"
- Wrote a Review Attractions in the White Mountains ... in Franconia Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 48 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Winthrop Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 93 photos, 6 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Conway Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Michaels Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martha's Vineyard Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues