"The Town that Fooled the British" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Michaels by RhondaRuth
Saint Michaels Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 124 photos
Saint Michaels is located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay. We got there by boat. And off we go to check out all the "crap" stores (as Bill would say) and of course we'll buy something, hehe. We'll just look for the good stuff!
here we are, Rhonda and Bill, ready to "shop until we drop!"
the Blackeye Suzy. Couldn't resist a shot of such a beautiful stance of Blackeye's.
I bet you're wondering about my Headline above?
"The Town that Fooled the British"?
In the dark morning hours of August 10, 1813 a number of British barges had planned an attack on the town and a fort on the harbor side. the residents of tiny St. Michaels, forewarned, hoisted lanterns to the masts of ships and in the tops of the trees, tricking the British by causing the cannons to overshoot the town. This first "blackout" was effective and only one house was struck. Now known as "The Cannonball House" a cannon ball penetrated the roof and rolled down the staircase as Mrs. Merchant carried her infant daughter downstairs. The house still exists as a private residence.
St. Michaels offers a quiet charm and a safe, peaceful haven for a day, weekend or vacation. Looking forward to my next visit!
- Pros:A festive feel to the place!
- Cons:Very much geared to the tourist and not cheap.
- In a nutshell:Like visited an island resort!
The Sequoia Presidential Yacht is a meticulously restored, 104-foot, 1925 Trumpy-designed yacht that has served more... more travel advice
Watch out for the bird nests and crab pots along the way. Know the boating laws, markers and rules of course. more travel advice
- Clear Skies and Calm Waters!
- Will you be navigating the Chesapeake?
- Dockside Express
- See All A Waterfront Resort
- Historic Chesapeke Bay Sailing Charter
Written May 9, 2016
Shopping in St. Michael's
Written May 9, 2016
The Streets of St. Michael's
RhondaRuth's Related Pages
Saint Michaels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Taste of the Chesapeake Bay"
- "St Michael’s – Chesapeake Bay"
- "St. Michaels"
- "The Town that Fooled the British"
- "The Chesapeake Bay Experience, Saint Michaels"
- "ruthmomma's new Saint Michaels Page"
- "The Heart and Soul of the Chesapeake Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Michaels
- Hotels in Saint Michaels
- Transportation in Saint Michaels
- Restaurants in Saint Michaels
- Shopping in Saint Michaels
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Michaels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Michaels
- 16 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Saint Michaels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Michaels
Photos in Saint MichaelsSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 48 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Winthrop Intro, 30 reviews, 139 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 93 photos, 6 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Conway Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Michaels Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martha's Vineyard Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues