"The Town that Fooled the British" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Michaels by RhondaRuth

Saint Michaels Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 124 photos

By boat or by car, travel on down to St. Michael's

Saint Michaels is located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay. We got there by boat. And off we go to check out all the "crap" stores (as Bill would say) and of course we'll buy something, hehe. We'll just look for the good stuff!

The Ultimate Tourists ....

here we are, Rhonda and Bill, ready to "shop until we drop!"

Maryland's State Flower...

the Blackeye Suzy. Couldn't resist a shot of such a beautiful stance of Blackeye's.

I bet you're wondering about my Headline above?

"The Town that Fooled the British"?

Well ....
In the dark morning hours of August 10, 1813 a number of British barges had planned an attack on the town and a fort on the harbor side. the residents of tiny St. Michaels, forewarned, hoisted lanterns to the masts of ships and in the tops of the trees, tricking the British by causing the cannons to overshoot the town. This first "blackout" was effective and only one house was struck. Now known as "The Cannonball House" a cannon ball penetrated the roof and rolled down the staircase as Mrs. Merchant carried her infant daughter downstairs. The house still exists as a private residence.

St. Michaels offers a quiet charm and a safe, peaceful haven for a day, weekend or vacation. Looking forward to my next visit!

• Pros:A festive feel to the place!
  • Cons:Very much geared to the tourist and not cheap.
  • In a nutshell:Like visited an island resort!
  • Last visit to Saint Michaels: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2003

• jelw's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 4:07 AM

What wonderful pages! A walk down memory lane and an introduction to many new destinations for me. St. Michael's is just "up the road" (3 hours) for me. Henniker, NH a great memory, and Salem a new destination. Thanks

• Aug 3, 2005 at 10:19 AM

Nice overview of an apparently very touristy town! Good job Rhonda!

• BabciaMaine's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 1:58 PM

ooh those crabs sound delicious!

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 1:22 PM

Rhonda, can you remind me why I had to move out? I look at your pages and want to book a ticket back. There are so many places I haven't explored yet ***Hate LOBSTER??? What tastes better than this?;-)****

RhondaRuth

“Wait up -- I need to take just one more picture!”

Badges & Stats in Saint Michaels

Have you been to Saint Michaels?

Latest Activity in Saint Michaels