"RhondaRuth's Salem Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Salem by RhondaRuth

Salem Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 1,171 photos

Do you dare enter at the bewitchin hour?

This is one town where "being scared" is considered "fun!"

During the month of October it's Salem's Haunted Happenings Halloween Festival. You can pick up a brochure at most establishments in Salem for a calendar and description of all the events happening during the month of October or check out Salem's Town Website.

Here is the Historical Broad Street Cemetry. The sheriff involved in the famous Witch Trials of Salem is burried here at the top of the hill to the right near the wall as well as many of the Pickering family members. Just in case you wish to stop by and visit!

This is one place that has signs posted to say "IF you enter after dark you will be considered a TRESPASSER." Frankly, if this is what it looks like on just a cloudy day, I DO NOT WANT to visit after dark, thank you!
(hehe)

Some people don't realize ...

that Salem is also known for it's seaport, merchants and historic homes. It's a great place to live or visit. We have everything here with lots of history, shopping and wonderful restaurants. AND it's only a 30 minute ride by train from Boston. From Salem Willows, Winter Island Park to Pickering Wharf you can get close to the ocean for fishing, sailing, boating or just viewing. Nothing like fresh salt air!

Enjoy a Floating Restaurant

We have family here, so use to visit often and finally moved here in November of 2003. One weekend we went to see the Salem Maritime Festival and had lunch on the Rockmore Floating Restaurant. It's a "must see" and "must do experience" when you visit Salem in the Summer. Take the free boat shuttle from Pickering Wharf out to the restaurant which is on a floating barge in Salem Harbor close to the Marblehead side. We go there once a year because it's such fun. Fried seafood mostly, but pretty good considering what the kitchen must have to go thru to give you a good meal.

At the Festival we went on the Friendship for a free tour. You will find pictures of both in my Travelogues. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a wonderful time!

ENJOY!

• Pros:Great place to be carefree and whimsical!
  • Cons:Very narrow streets and look out for those "one way only" ones!
  • In a nutshell:A seaport town filled with imagination!
  • Last visit to Salem: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2005

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM

We're on our way to Salem again today. Thanks for some new ideas. Love that town!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Loved our visit to Salem some years ago. Interestingly it was a catholic priest there that gave us the best advice on the things to see while we were there. A charming, enjoyable town with a lot of well done exhibits and fun spirit

• trisanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Great Salem tips. I was there many years ago with my parents and your page reminded me of that trip. Would love to come back for some Halloween events!

• travelgame's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Oooooo, what an eerie picture. But then it is a cemetery isn't it? Nice job.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 10:29 AM

We spent most of our time in Salem at the Peabody - fascinating museum - and on the Historic House tour. I'll have to come back again for the spooks. leyle

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 7:17 PM

I love the trees in your Broad Street Cemetery pictures. The one on the right is eerie and they also frame the picture well.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 12:18 PM

Had looked at apartments in Salem but ended up in Arlington... Salem is enchanting. Going to swing by for a little Haunted Happenings maybe tonight!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 7:36 AM

Hi Rhonda, we're headed back up your way this Halloween, Yours is a great , helpful page with some things I missed last time we were in Salem. Thanks! :)

• RUTHWR's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 5:16 PM

Hi Rhonda, Surprise!! It's me! I was surfing the birdsandblooms website and someone asked for info on Salem Ma. I invited them to go to vt and see your Salem page.

• May 9, 2005 at 9:44 AM

Great Salem page with very comprehensive tips!

RhondaRuth Lives Here!

RhondaRuth

“Wait up -- I need to take just one more picture!”

Badges & Stats in Salem