"A Drive Through Birmingham, Alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by RhondaRuth

Birmingham Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 445 photos

We found this city to be very charming!

The streets were clean, the people friendly and the architure impressive. And I can't say enough about the food - good Southern cooking!

For more information on Birmingham, Alabama, I found this website interesting: http://www.archivists.org/conference/birm2002/magiccity.asp

You just might find out why it's called, "the Magic City" Do you know why?

A skyline of Birmingham.

We drove into the city from the suburbs.
I didn't get the best advantage for a good view, but it is a small city with only 5 skyscraper buildings in view. It was much more picturesque while driving on the city streets. Our friends were kind enough to stop now & then so I could jump out and snap a picture. Or I took shots from the window in the back seat. Thanks, Jerry for being so patient with this VT nut!

Driving through Birmingham on our way to

Birmingham's Botanical Gardens. See it on the 'Must see Activities' and in my travelogues. Really nice place, especially the Japanese Gardens.

We spent the morning walking around the gardens after riding thru Birmingham-Southern College and then thru downtown Birmingham. After our stroll thru the Gardens we had lunch at the 11th Avenue Grill in Southside Birmingham and then drove out to Oak Mountain to see the Treetop Nature Trail.

• Pros:Not a Large City
  • Cons:Weren't there long enough to find out
  • In a nutshell:Good Southern Cooking and Hospitality!
  • Last visit to Birmingham: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2003

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 8:16 AM

I, too, love gardens so I was impressed with the coverage and really enjoyed the travelogues.

• masc4s's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 1:42 AM

SUPERB Birmgham overview. Lovely gardens and restaurant tips... so cheap too! Excellent transport tip. Thanks for sharing Rhonda :)!

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 8:21 AM

Thank you for a thumbnail tour of Birmingham. Guess we will have to check out the Japanese Gardens!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 1:19 PM

Very nice "magic city" page...there just aren't enough on here! I agree, B-ham is a charming city, as are a lot of places in Alabama...underrated as well.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2004 at 5:10 AM

Had to stop by all your Alabama pages. Ruth WR sent me!!

• depechefan's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2003 at 8:58 PM

Thank you Rhonda for your positive comments regarding Birmingham, AL. As a nearby resident, it's always nice to read upbeat comments from someone who's speaking from experience and not from a stereotypical point of view.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2003 at 6:44 PM

Birmingham has a great Botanical garden and also the zoo down the street is excellent for its size.

• patrikske's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2003 at 1:30 PM

Excellent page, great info and some very nice pictures !

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2003 at 1:05 PM

Birmingham, Alabama - not what I expected!! Best wishes Nada

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 2:34 AM

Really interested in this page. Such a famous town for me.

RhondaRuth

“Wait up -- I need to take just one more picture!”

Badges & Stats in Birmingham

Have you been to Birmingham?