"Under the long white cloud" New Zealand by ray_d
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,447 reviews and 36,447 photos
New Zealand is a little strange for me. I have been there countless times and still have no idea why I go there.
Is it the relaxed nature of the people? Is it the landscape? Or would it be the naive nature of the country?
New Zealand is a little like Australia. Relatively unsophisticated, yet believing to be well qualified a canditate and avant-garde in its own way.
Everone is somewhat preoccupied with the encroaching complexities of modern living, when realistically, it would be my place of choice for a peaceful existence in my later years.
The Country is defensive of its uniqueness as a Western-Asiatic nation, so far from the birthplace of its inhabitants and proud in its co-existence within cultures varied and colourful.
Highly obsessive are the people in the preservation of all things historical.
Single-minded is the need in the upholding of Sporting National Identity.
And yet oblivious of the raw beauty surrounding their city existence.
Old lives with modern and nowhere is the difference as acute as in New Zealand Where one need only to deviate 10 minutes off the hi-way to be lost in Victorian times. The fringes are coloured with Cafes, Restaurants, amusement parks and Golf-courses but in the heartland of New Zealand lies its treasure. The beating soul of the battler, pleased with his work as he overlooks land, lakes, trees and mountains that will never be intimidated by the Civilisation he is part of. Man can reap benefit off nature but nature goes on while our passing is but an insignificant scratch on its impassive face.
New Zealand is as different in the North and South Islands as each Island is to itself. The landscape changes with every turn in the road.
Awesome is a word misused. One can only knows the true meaning of Awesome while travelling the Haas Pass in a rain storm, or alone, surrounded by the echoes of falling rocks at Franz Joseph Glacier, or floating silently over extinct Volcanoes, or walking through breathing, hissing steam and sulphured prehistoric wastelands.
Whales know no borders but they know New Zealand and frolic ceaselessly in its Oceans. As do the magnificent yachts and barques and schooners that are so lovingly maintained for the pleasure of cruising the picturesque waters.
Birds cavort in the brilliantly clean and clear skies joined by machines that date back to the cradle of aviation.
Dragonfly, Corsair, Zero, Hunter, Texan, Messershmitt, Ryan, Trojan, Tomahawk, Names that bookmark History and although they mean little to most, talk volumes to the few who care and the heroes that flew them.
Damned if I know why I like the place? I mean; really...all it has to offer is dangerous extremes, pleasant peace, magnificent spectacle, unsurpassed wonder and mad, crazy and undisciplined population that are as strange as they are trustworthy.
- Pros:Currency Exchange
- Cons:Slow service
- In a nutshell:Where you see the first daylight and the origins of Man
Waitangi is a spiritual place. Nothing prepares you for the beautiful setting of this historic place. Set in acres of... more travel advice
Ever been this close to a Witch's Couldren? This is the crater and the Sulpher Steam is real. The Island is 60 Km off... more travel advice
ray_d's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Is the pen mightier than the..."
- Commented on one of unaS's New Zealand travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The world as it should be, New Zealand..Naturally"
- updated a New Zealand Travelogue "The world as it should be, New Zealand..Naturally"
- Wrote a Review Cultural visit in New Zealand Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamtown Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Vienna Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newcastle Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Rust Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Williamstown Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Zejtun Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2290 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1671 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Waiheke Island Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 338 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Hanmer Springs Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos