"From here to Eternity" Top 5 Page for this destination Malta by ray_d

Malta Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 674 photos

History

It seems that life has become too complicated somehow.
So pretty the island.
A bare rock, small and of little consequence but a unique Jewel in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea.

And yet it has not missed History's notice.
During the preceding millennia, history that has made it important enough for countless invaders to need mourn the loss of the flower of their youth on its unforgiving shores.
Victims of forgotten conflicts, they never again returned to the country they gave their life for.
Entombed under the sparse, coarse, dry soil that embraces them, they lie at rest.
The soil they nourish in death as in life they nourished their own land with their love.

I was born to a Village-Blacksmith and a "town" girl.
She, with her family, had been evacuated from one of the Harbour-side towns.
Towns that were in direct line of fire in the early stages of World War II. These towns were the walled old Cities, already tired from long forgotten battles.
This time they succumbed to a different battering. One from the deep blue Mediterranean sky.

I grew up an irreverent youth with the Island on the cusp of transitioning from a 3 rd world hidden treasure to a Mecca for 1 st world tourism.
Things are not the same anymore.
They are so much better and so desperately worse.

History

Tourism has changed the future for the inhabitants.
A future that unburdened them from the chains of subsistence-level farming.
But it has also taken them into the realms of having to forgo the innocence of life that once existed.

I was one who left to pursue a future.
A life overseas, among feared strangers whom I now call loyal friends.
Friends I count as inseparable an an integral part in my success.

With success came the wish for simpler times.
And with a comfortable lifestyle comes a need to reminisce the past.

July, each year, the Sirens on the island of Melita beckon me with their song.
Without a moment's hesitation, I rearrange my pathetically busy life,
throw deadlines to the winds;
Leave the cell-phone to its panic-stricken stress,
and allow myself the indulgence of a little time in Heaven.

Romance

I feel the need to shed my tie,
park the suit,
loose the superior-attitude
and in feverish pleasure and unencumbered joy, frolic barefoot on the salt-encrusted limestone of the rugged, sun-bleached coast.

I am young no longer.
I am now the strange guy that speaks Maltese with a funny accent.
The old chap that knows people's grandfathers and the man others greet with intimate hugs.
The Guy that always seems to disappear before you get used to having him around.

Some call me Uncle and most call me Friend, the ones that called me Son have gone to a different Heaven.

The hours in the perfumed Mediterranean-air are precious.
Endless lunches with food of subtle tastes and rough and ready bread and wine flavouring the delicate touch of tepid Sun on sparkling sea.
Nightly drunken conversations of lost loves, unlikely myths, political presumption and childhood indiscretions are the privilege of the young at heart.
Political correctness has little place in this life of straight talk; God's most beautiful creation has an unrivalled place of importance in the Maltese-male's psyche.

The end of the day always comes too quickly.
At sun-down the Cicada choir sings for my unique pleasure and while foreign youth experiment with a week's freedom purchased at a Travel Agent, I hold hands with my Lady and tread the silver path reflected by my personal Moon to the Spiritual sanctuary that cannot be bought by a discount ticket.

This is one programme that can only be accessed by memories of the reborn and I hold the only password.

My wicked Sirens; again, your song has charmed another willing victim to his temporary oblivion.

My beautiful Island, soon I will breathe the perfume of your seductive skin.
You will always be the Lover I can never escape from

• Pros:The Culture, Arcetecture, Sun, Sea, Colour, History, Sea, People.
  • Cons:The cost, the service, the quality.
  • In a nutshell:Enhance your visit by understanding this place in History but do not expect a cheap holiday.
  • Last visit to Malta: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2010

• June.b's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

On my wish list.... Malta. :)

• ray_d's Profile Photo
      Dec 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

If I am there when you come you shall have my special personal tour.:o)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM

This page is a piece of art in itself - it really makes me want to travel to Malta. Just excellent!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Will be visiting Malta soon :)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Mdina, Birgu... I got a glimpse of them with a friend. I must return for the weight of time on those Malta stones. Places that speak through centuries, I hear them! Thank you Ray!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM

When ever I read pages on Malta, they always remind me of my great time in Rhodes, I guess because of the Knights of St. John. I think I would enjoy Malta!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM

OK, now I know why my brother soooo loved Malta when he was here while in the USNavy in the early 80s! and hopefully one day I too can experience a little of the latter day ambience. Exquisitely written, fr Overview, to every tip!

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM

festas, markets and tons of history....sounds like my kind of place....

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Lovely eloquent prose Ray.The flea-market (sans fleas) and musical festivals at Valletta sounds like great fun.

• leics's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Marsaskala will be very tiny, I'm afraid. Another time, perhaps? Jx

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Love your eloquent, poetic HP:-) D xx

ray_d Lives Here!

ray_d

“Determined to age disgracefully”

Badges & Stats in Malta