"Tourist Mecca" Saint Kilda by ray_d
Saint Kilda Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 26 photos
No more than 6 Km from the city centre, St. Kilda is an old suburb of Melbourne.
It started as a Holiday place for the City dwellers. Somewhere with a beach and easy access from the city. Far enough to release your mind from life's problems.
A profusion of Mansions and Hotels of the time are still standing and make a beautiful backdrop to a busy life.
Although a lot of these places have been turned into apartments, the integrity of the buildings stay to grace the look of this vibrant suburb.
The thousands of photographs of Luna Park miss a beautiful landmark. To the left of it is the Palias Theatre. A grand and beautiful establishment from another era. Little is said about the heritage of St Kilda. People use the place oblivious to its importance in the architectural history of Australia.
We use these buildings as normal and preserve them by not noticing that they are any more than roofs for our head.
It used to be the delineation between sexes, a keeper of good taste in a society of prudes. Today a restaurant and shop complex including gymnasium and swimming pool.
These are the standards that Tourists help us uphold.
A large part of St Kilda's economy is tourism, both local and foreign.
For that I thank all the VTs who have spent time and money with us.
- Pros:Beautiful buildings, wonderful people, diverse lifestyles.
- Cons:Where there is healthy trade there is the occasional shark.
- In a nutshell:If experienced it is fun, if your first time use your home town's same yardstick in trusting people.
ray_d's Related Pages
Saint Kilda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Kilda and the beach"
- "St. Kilda Beach"
- "My home from home in my favourite city"
- "Tourist Mecca"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Kilda
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Saint Kilda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Kilda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Williamtown Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Vienna Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newcastle Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Rust Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Williamstown Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Zejtun Intro, 1 review, 3 photos