"Ray's Williamstown" Williamstown by ray_d

Williamstown Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos

Downsizing

I have only been here for a few months.
In effect I am still half way trough redesigning my flat.

A small affair, only 1 bedroom but my 2 balconies allow me to let the sea-breeze move freely trough the flat.

Williamstown is on the west side of the river Yarra, the river that splits Melbourne from North to South.

Having been running around like a headless Chicken, trying to move, take a quick holiday in the U.S. and juggling a project while sparring with Lawyers, has me at a disadvantage talking about the place.
And yet I have been bringing overseas friends, here, for lunch, forever.
And arranging dinner for meetings at the local restaurants for years.
And every time I needed to get away I could cross over the West Gate Bridge and be on the opposite side of Port Phillip Bay in a trice leaving the dense traffic and multitudes behind.

Walking

Williamstown is a little place.
Jutting as it does into the bay; it collects breezes as Mother Goose collects goslings.
It is such a pleasant place that it is the original and first township in the state of Victoria.

Victorian Houses litter the place like Hamster droppings and wide tree lined-streets go off to either side of any road so as to provide shade n the cruel Australian sun.
One main road, a narrow road, Melbourne Road, leads the visitor to Ferguson Street. My street.
Ferguson Street has Williamstown spread from it like a stain as it crosses Douglas Parade, the shopping precinct, and goes down the slight incline to Nelson’s place.

Nelson’s Place hugs the bay.
On its sea-side it goes past the Boat-sheds, Chandlers, Tennis-courts, and park
On the other side of the road are Restaurants, Cake shops, Clothes, Pubs, novelty Shops and Spiritual caverns…Bur most of all Café’s and Al-Fresco dining ear-marks the shore-lined as a place for relaxation and conversation.

• Last visit to Williamstown: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 3, 2006

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I guess I was confused Ray. I thought you lived in Europe. Anyway you describe your town beautifully.

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 1:49 PM

A delicious "good morning" to you Mr. Ray. Enjoy the weekend. Mine is coming soon.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Ray_D your invited also... love the aussie accent... can you pick up my sister on the way.. she lives in Melbourne... Lx

• enigma58's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM

you describe every thing with such a beauty and details that it is like looking into a window. Thanks, rasa

• poons's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 1:58 AM

I'm glad Wales made an lasting impression on you Ray - it's a kinda special place. Williamstown looks a lovely town to call home. I plan to visit Australia one day - I'll give myself 8 years ;o)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 4:54 PM

hamster droppings! shriek!

• dee_1NiteAngel's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 3:19 PM

Which dish of choice donned your plate that day? Expanding my 'Art' to Vietnamese cuisine. My first attempt at creating Catfish caramelized w/Chilli sauce, Goi Tom Thit and Salad Rice Rolls w/shrimp dipped in spiced Peanut sauce, homemade. YUM! :o)

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 2:01 PM

Hi sweetie. Hope Williamstown is treating you well

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 9:55 PM

Where are all the pictures for here and your US visit??~

ray_d Used To Live Here!

ray_d

“Determined to age disgracefully”

Badges & Stats in Williamstown

Have you been to Williamstown?

Latest Activity in Williamstown