"KimberlyAnn's Thunder Bay Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Thunder Bay by KimberlyAnn
Thunder Bay Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 329 photos
I have visited Thunder Bay in the summers of 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009, using it as a port of entry before sailing on down the wilderness island strewn coast of Ontario. This city is a metropolis of about 114,000 full of multicultural events, shopping centers, restaurants, biking/walking trails, and acres of in the city limits parks. It sits on Lake Superior’s huge Thunder Bay across which you can see the Sleeping Giant Mountain. With a little imagine you can see the outline of a figure lying down against the skyline.
If you have never visited Lake Superior or do not live in Canada or the United States you may be unfamiliar with the large size of this lake. The word lake usually brings to mind the picture of a body of water that you can look across, viewing its far shore. Lake Superior, the largest fresh water lake in the world does not fit this picture. Superior borders Canada and the United States, and if you were crossing the middle of Superior in a boat you would find yourself far enough from land that your horizons would be water in all directions.
Below are some facts to help you understand the size of Lake Superior:
Width: 160 miles/259 km
Depth: 489 ft./149 m average with the maximum depth being 1,335 ft./407
Water Surface Area 31,700 miles squared/82,100 km squared
Volume: 2,934 miles cubed/12,230 km cubed
Average Water Temperature: 40 degrees Fahrenheit/4.4 degrees Celsius
If you were to drive the "Circle Tour" of Lake Superior you would drive 1,300 miles.
When we visited Thunder Bay in 2003 we discovered a new business had opened up the year before. If you are an experienced sailor and would like to bareboat out of Thunder Bay visit this web site: www.sailsuperior.com Whether you plan to bareboat or sail your own boat on Superior along with a good set of charts I would highly recommend that you purchase the book that so many Superior sailors call the "Bible". I do not remember what we paid for our copy of this book, but whatever the cost it is well worth every penny. We are on our second copy, having purchased the latest edition and passing our old book on to a friend. The title of the book is Superior Way by Bonnie Dahl. This cruising guide for Lake Superior can be purchased through Lake Superior Port Cities Inc., P.O. Box 16417, Duluth, MN 55816. Phone 1-888-244-5253. Email address: email@example.com This book will describe the marinas as well as the hidden coves and harbors along the lake that you may otherwise miss. You can travel to these areas with confidence using her personal and detailed knowledge of the lake. She and her husband, Ron, have sailed Lake Superior for more than 25 years and have visited and tested every area of the Lake. Included are GPS waypoints, harbor passages, marinas, anchorages, and diagrams to help you find these locations. Often depths and lake bottom conditions are included for the anchorages. Warnings about the locations of many shoals and underwater hazards may be found in her text, as well as marked on her diagrams. In some cases interesting historical information is included as well as hidden hiking trails and other places to explore from the anchorages. Don't sail Lake Superior without this book!
For a virtual sail out of Thunder Bay, visit my Sailing out of Thunder Bay, Canada. video.
- In a nutshell:Friendly people, history, and a nice setting make this a fun city to visit.
The coast of Ontario east of Thunder Bay is filled with wilderness islands and shoreline. The only way to really explore... more travel advice
If you enjoy outdoor activities and have a car, drive to the tiny community of Silver Islet and Sleeping Giant... more travel advice
Written Feb 8, 2009
Sailing the Wilderness Islands of Ontario Part I
Written Feb 8, 2009
Sailing the Wilderness Islands of Ontario Part II
Written Oct 27, 2007
Sailing the Wilderness Islands of Ontario 2003
Written Oct 27, 2007
Sites Around the Marina Park Area of Thunder Bay
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Thunder Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KimberlyAnn's Thunder Bay Page"
- "The forgotten part of Ontario"
- "Home is Where the Heart Is"
- "Welcome to Thunder Bay"
- "A Trip To Fort William"
- "Welcome to Thunder Bay!"
- "Alphons new Thunder Bay /Ontario Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thunder Bay
- Hotels in Thunder Bay
- Transportation in Thunder Bay
- Nightlife in Thunder Bay
- Restaurants in Thunder Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Thunder Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thunder Bay
- 14 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Thunder Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thunder Bay
- Posted in Travel Springdale Forum "Re: Zion trip in Winter"
- updated a Thunder Bay Travel Page "KimberlyAnn's Thunder Bay Page"
- Wrote a Review Exploring Ontario's Wilderness in Thunder Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Exploring Ontario's Wilderness"
- Uploaded a Video to Thunder Bay
- Commented on one of D_Shannon's Thunder Bay travel pages
Photos in Thunder BaySee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 65 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Thunder Bay hotel reviews
- Victoria Inn
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Voyageur Motel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Superior Motel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Pineview Motel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2010
- Sea-Vue Motel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Lakehead Motel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Days Inn Suites Thunder Bay
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Econo Lodge Thunder Bay
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Landmark Hotel
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Best Western Norwester Resort Hotel
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Travelodge Thunder Bay
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- The White Fox Inn
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2012
- Sleeping Giant Guesthouse
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 14, 2011