"Yellowstone National Park, My Neighbor" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park by KimberlyAnn

Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide: 1,098 reviews and 3,442 photos

We have lived in the East Gate Community of Cody, Wyoming since 1976, so I have been to the park many times, yet I have never tired of its beauty and variety. Yellowstone is famous for its boiling hot springs and geysers, and nowhere in the world are there the numbers of geysers as in Yellowstone. Yellowstone therefore deserves its fame for these hot wonders, but besides these amazing features you will find the beauty of rivers, mountains, deep canyons, prairies, vast forest, alpine lakes, and the large Yellowstone Lake. And if that isn’t enough to bring you to Yellowstone, come for the wildlife. Here you may be lucky enough to see such large mammals as moose, elk, bighorn sheep, mule deer, antelope, bison (also known as buffalo), bears (black and grizzly), coyote, and wolves as well as a number of smaller mammals. You will find bird species that include eagles, osprey, trumpeter swan, and the white pelican. The list of wildlife would of itself warrant making Yellowstone an important wildlife sanctuary. Yellowstone became the world’s first national park in 1872 so that the beauty of this wild place could be preserved for generations. This special place is large, with a 142-mile grand loop road that passes major scenic attractions and connects the five entrances. So give it as much time as possible, or give it a number of visits. We have lived near the park for years, and have never seen all the sites.

My introduction photo is of Great Fountain Geyser on Firehole Drive, one of my favorite geysers in the park, although not an easy one to catch erupting.

For an Interactive Road Map of Yellowstone visit this link:

Sometimes roads are close due to construction, forest fires, or other reasons. You may visit this link for the current road status: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Help Protect Wildlife Near the Roads.

Speed kills more than 100 bears, elk, bison, moose, deer, and wolves each year. Slow Down and follow the park speed limit. In most areas this will be a maximum of 45 miles per hours.

Did the 1988 Fires Ruin the Park?

During the summer of 1988 the Yellowstone fires burned many sections of the park, and in some areas the appearance of the landscape was greatly changed. I remember that year clearly, as the fires raged in the park, the skies in Cody became hazy so that our days were gray and our sunsets were spectacular. The smell of smoke reached all the way down the beautiful Wapiti Valley to Cody, 50 miles away. The photos and stories in our local newspaper and on our radio were worrisome. The next year when we returned to the park we were concerned that we would see vast areas of devastation, yet no major features were destroyed. The geysers, waterfalls, herds of wildlife, the Old Faithful Inn, and the Lake Hotel were still there. The park was still beautiful, despite the patches of burned trees. Much of the park showed no signs of the fire at all and was still heavily forested and green. As years have gone by, the burned areas have become places of beauty as wildflowers, and young trees replace the old forests. In these burned areas, the young trees open up the view to a much wider vista allowing us to see mountain sides and valleys that were once hidden behind tall, dense trees. This photo was taken on a cloudy fall day a year after the fires. You can see both untouched forest, as well as burned areas.

The Park’s Mission

Yellowstone National Park preserves Old Faithful and the majority of the world’s geysers and hot springs. It also preserves an outstanding mountain wildland with clean water and air. Yellowstone is the home of the grizzly bear, black bear, wolf, coyote, moose and free-ranging herds of bison, elk, and antelope, as well as many other mammals and birds. Also protected are centuries old sites and historic buildings, which reflect the unique heritage of Yellowstone, American’s first national park. Yellowstone National Park serves as a model and inspiration for national parks throughout the world.

The photo shows the run off pool of Great Fountain Geyser, one of our favorite geysers in the park. Great Fountain may be found along the Firehole Drive on the east side of the park.

For a virtual visit to Old Faithful, Yellowstone’s most famous geyser, click on this web cam link.

www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/yellowstonelive.htm

If you have Windows Media Player, you can see live cams with narration at this link:

Yes! Yellowstone is a volcano. How do we know? What is a Caldera? Why are there geysers in Yellowstone? What are other geologic hazards in the park? For answers to these and other questions, view the following video:

• Pros:Nowhere in the world will you find one place with such a variety of wonders and beauty.
  • Cons:Weather can be a factor, especially in the spring and fall, however August and July brings crowds of visitors.
  • In a nutshell:Be ready for any kind of weather, then get out and walk the marvelous features, look for wildlife, and enjoy the natural beauty of the landscape.
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2013

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hi Anne, wow, what a fantastic page! I had bookmarked it for long and now finally found the time to read it. Yellowstone has been one of my dream destinations for several years (although I won't go there in the near future - but one day I will!), and your tips are so interesting and useful. I especially like all the practical info, for example that you need to expect crowds, how to behave towards animals, etc. And of course I enjoyed the pictures very much, my favourite one is the buffalo at twilight - just perfect!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
      May 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Thanks you so much, ettiewyn, for your kind comments and compliment on my Yellowstone page. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places, I never get tired of visiting it.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Last night I was reading through some of your Yellowstone tips..Im particularly interested in the seismic activity of the caldera..and just this afternoon got a notice from USGS of a 4.6 close to Jackson..so...was thinking of you..

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM

What a fantastic Yellowstone page you have! Thanks for the close-up views of Yellowstone Falls and the nice views inside Old Faithful Inn too. I loved your Mt. St. Helens volcano comparison. Outstanding photos and very helpful park tips all the way!!

• cherylinreno's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Excellent information and very well written. Appreciate the variety of information KimberlyAnn has posted.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Thanks for visiting my Moab page. Yellowstone is high on my lists to do. Thanks for the great...really great...page.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Really impressively detailed page! Many thanks for sharing

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Anne this is a GREAT page!!! I enjoyed reading your tips & will be back to go over it in more detail as we plan a trip to YNP for this summer. Thanks!

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Fantastic stuff on the granddaddy of all the national parks!

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Amazing pictures and tips!! I will definitely refer back to them as we plan for a trip in 2008! :-)

• percy961's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Superb pages on the National Parks, places we'd love to visit.

KimberlyAnn Visits Here Frequently!

KimberlyAnn

“Respect all living things, accept man's differences.”

Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park

Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?

Videos in Yellowstone National Park