"Enjoy the Beauty of Grand Teton National Park" Grand Teton National Park by KimberlyAnn
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 315 reviews and 940 photos
Grand Teton National Park is located just south of Yellowstone. I am not sure if this is fortunate or unfortunate for the Tetons. Yellowstone may be the country’s most popular park, so this puts millions of people within a close drive to the Tetons. Because of this close location to Yellowstone, some people visit the Tetons, who would not otherwise have visited it. On the other hand, Grand Teton National Park is often treated like a place to view while driving to or from Yellowstone through the south entrance of Yellowstone National Park. If you love beautiful mountain views, don’t skip Grand Teton, even if you can only fit in a day to visit. They are not the tallest mountains in the U.S., but the way their jagged peaks rise up out of the valley, with no foot hills blocking the view, is truly stunning. For grand vistas, and breath taking mountain views, Grand Teton National Park is one of my favorite places in the country. This is one of the youngest mountain ranges in the world. Beginning 10 million yeas ago, movement of the Teton fault created huge earthquakes, which caused the mountains to rise, while the valley floor dropped. Erosion then sculpted the mountains, while massive glaciers flowed south from Yellowstone and filled the valley. The glaciers helped to carve the peaks and canyons. You may have heard the term Jackson Hole, often mistakenly thought of as the name for the town of Jackson, Wyoming, but the Hole is actually the high mountain valley surrounded by the Grand Teton Mountain Range on the west, and the Gros Ventre Mountain Range on the east. The snake river runs through this valley, adding another lovely detail to the area. The name, Jackson Hole Valley, originated from early trappers who felt that coming into the valley was like descending into an enormous hole. The national park is a paradise for people who love the outdoors. Here you have a number of outdoor activities to choose from such as mountain climbing, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and float trips, along with cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. Outside of the park, but within Jackson Hole you will also find both cross country and alpine skiing, as well as hunting. You may enjoy viewing wild life such as moose, deer, elk, bison, bears, and a variety of birds, including hawks, eagles, and trumpeter swans. The park includes 485 square miles of pristine wilderness, as well as areas with developed hiking trails and a park road with turnoffs to enjoy the views.
The park is open all year, although most of the park facilities only operate from mid-May to mid-October.
The following link will take you to an image of the Grand Teton National Park's map. http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/GRTE_park_map_2011.pdf
Please Note: I have numbered my "Things to Do" tips in the order you would pass them while driving the park road. For this reason it is best to veiw my tips as "Members Choice" to make your reading and planning more organized.
There are many ways to explore Grand Teton National Park. One of my favorite ways is to get out and hike the back country. There are a variety of trails, from easy to difficult, so if you are into hiking, you should be able to find trails that fit your abilities, and time frame.
If you are not physically able to explore on foot, or do not enjoy this type of activity, but enjoy great mountain views, you can choose to take a boat ride on one of the lovely lakes in Grand Teton, a float trip on the Snake River, as well as driving the park roads, stopping at the pull offs along the way for photos, and information about the area you are viewing.
- In a nutshell:A great place for outdoor activities and mountain views.
Signal Mountain Lodge is the only lakeside lodging in Grand Teton, however, this does not mean that your accommodation... more travel advice
Besides staying within Jackson Lodge, you have the choice of staying in one of the cottages that are considered part of... more travel advice
- See All If You are Planning on Bringing Your Own...
- See All Shopping In Colter Bay
- See All A Restaurant in Dornam
- See All Dornams, In the Park, But Not Part of...
- See All Yellowstone National Park
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tall Tales from the Grand Tetons"
- "Majestic Mountains and Moose!"
- "These Mountains cannot be ignored!"
- "Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?"
- "Grand Teton N.P. - the highest of the Rockies"
- "Best thing about Grand Teton NP? The Locals...."
- "Mountain grandeur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Teton National Park
- Hotels in Grand Teton National Park
- Transportation in Grand Teton National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Teton National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Teton National Park
- Shopping in Grand Teton National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Teton National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park
- 57 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Teton National Park
- Posted in Travel Florida Forum "Re: 11 days in Florida with car,..."
- updated a Grand Teton National Park Travel Page "Enjoy the Beauty of Grand Teton National Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enjoy the Beauty of Grand Teton National Park"
- Wrote a Review On the Shore of Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park Hotels
Photos in Grand Teton National ParkSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 213 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos