"My Home- Cody, Wyoming" Top 5 Page for this destination Cody by KimberlyAnn
Cody Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 324 photos
I am so proud of my hometown. We travel a lot with our camper and when we come home, I always feel that this town is equal to the best, and better than most. We have so much to offer tourists! The best time of the year to visit is spring, summer, and fall. Be aware that summer is when we are most crowded with tourists, but some things we have to offer such as the nightly rodeo are only open during prime tourist season. If you choose the less crowded times of spring and fall, check with Yellowstone if you plan to visit the park to see what the plowing (spring) and fall closure dates are. You cannot drive into the park from our gate (East Gate-50 miles up a beautiful valley) in the wintertime. Cody is also a nice place to live. We are a town of about 9,520 people, and Cody is the county seat of Park County, which contains about 28,205 people. We are about 106 miles south of Billings, Montana. Cody, Wyoming lies at an altitude of 5,095', has an annual average temperature of 46 degrees F, and about 300 days of sunshine a year. We have no state or local personal income tax, no state or local corporate income tax, no state or local inventory tax, and our sales and property taxes are some of the lowest in the country. If you enjoy wide open spaces, and wish to get away from the crowds, then Wyoming is the state for you. We have an average of five people per square mile, with a population of barely 500,000 people in the entire state.
If you have a day to spend in Cody and see nothing else, be sure to visit the Buffalo Bill Center of the West (formally known before 2013 as the Buffalo Bill Historical Center). This is a large museum that cover 7 acres, and houses five museums. In 2008 the BBCW partnered with the Smithsonium Museum in Washington D.C. Under this partnership the BBCW and the Smithsonian can share artifacts and artworks. On Tuesday, October 7, 2008, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West was presented with the National Medal for Museum and Library Service at a White House ceremony. This is the nation's highest honor for museums and libraries. In January, 2012, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West was listed as one of America’s “favorite museums for group travelers” by the National Tour Association, tying for third place. First place went to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC, second place went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, and the Buffalo Bill Center of the West tied with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City for third place. The BBCW is a premiere museum, and even if you are only a little interested in museums, this is a don't miss. You may even be lucky enough to arrive during one of its special events such as the annual Indian Powwow that is generally scheduled for the third weekend in June, the annual Buffalo Bill Invitational Shootout generally around mid August, the Cowboy Musicians, Twilight Talks, or special exhibits.
While visiting the museum, try not to miss out on seeing our live raptor/vulture program! I may even be present, as I am a bird handler for the program, one of my favorite things in life! In 2011, this educational and fun program, the Greater Yellowstone Raptor Experience was begun. The program features live birds of prey, plus a turkey vulture. If you visit the museum, be sure to look for us, as we not only offer a daily summer program, but can also be seen with the birds in the garden during scheduled times, or within the museum itself. Ask us questions, and attend our program. This is one of the highlights that you will long remember. If you wish to find out more about this program visit my travelogue, The Greater Yellowstone Raptor Experience. You may also enjoy my short video, Isham the Red-tailed Hawk’s Photo Shoot, which includes the hawk, and Melissa Hill, the assistant curator in charge of our Greater Yellowstone Rapter Experience educational program; my slide show, Meet the Greater Yellowstone Raptor Experience’s First 4-birds.; or short video, The BBHC’s Great Horned Owl’s Flight Lesson.
Cody has a lot of shops dealing in Indian and Western items. These are a few of the Indian items I have purchased in Cody.
View this link for live web cams of Cody, that reload every 3 seconds:
- Pros:A small western tourist town that feels and is more real than touristy; with low crime, friendly people; and a beautiful, clean environment.
- Cons:The East Gate of Yellowstone National Park is closed to wheeled traffic in the winter.
- In a nutshell:Cody is a small town snuggled up against the mountains, with lots to do and see. The locals are friendly and helpful and will try to make your stay an enjoyable one.
Although I have not stayed overnight at the 7D I have visited the ranch, and eaten with the guests. This ranch is tucked... more travel advice
Large jets do not fly into the Yellowstone Reginal Airport (COD), but you can pick up smaller commercial flights from... more travel advice
- See All Buffalo Bill Historical Center’s Store
- See All Check This Out if You Are In the Valley
- See All A Small Restaurant In A Beautiful Valley
- See All Draper Museum of Natural History
- See All So Nature is Calling
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Cody Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home- Cody, Wyoming"
- "A great western town"
- "East Gateway Town to Yellowstone National Park..."
- "I fell in love with Cody"
- "karlh's new Cody Page"
- "WILDEFLOWER's new Cody Page"
- "Cody; Rodeo Heaven!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cody
- Hotels in Cody
- Transportation in Cody
- Nightlife in Cody
- Restaurants in Cody
- Shopping in Cody
- Warnings and Dangers in Cody
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cody
- 66 Reviews
- 217 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 98 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Cody?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cody
- Posted in Travel Yellowstone National Park Forum "Re: RV Trip from NYC to Yellowstone"
- updated a Cody Travel Page "My Home- Cody, Wyoming"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A State Campground In Scenic Wapit Valley"
- Wrote a Review For a Remote Stay in Beautiful... in Cody Hotels
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Cody tips
- Uploaded a Video to Cody
Photos in CodySee All Photos (217)
Videos in CodySee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 213 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 66 reviews, 217 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos