"KimberlyAnn's Moab Page" Moab by KimberlyAnn
Moab Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 997 photos
Moab is a small town that sits at the foot of red cliffs and the La Sal Mountains. The town, which overlooks the Colorado River, had a colorful history with familiar names such as Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch and other outlaw gangs hanging out here. Zane Grey made Moab the setting of many of his novels, and it has been used frequently in movies. In the 1950's uranium was discovered here, and what had been a quiet agricultural town turned into a busy center for mining and prospecting. This boom is over, but the town now prospers on tourism. Moab is the beginning point for white-water rafting, canoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, horseback riding, four-wheeled-driving, and mountain biking. You will find many local tour companies that make such opportunities possible. Be aware, however, that many of these companies only offer their outings seasonally. Summers are very hot here, and winters are surprisingly mild, due to the lower elevation of 4,400 ft. December and January are usually the coldest months, with their average daytime highs in the 40's, with temperatures dropping into the teens at night. The photo is of the LaSal Mountains, taken on a misty day from Arches National Park.
We first came to Moab in January 1999, but in 2005 when we were in Moab we discovered that the town is growing, expanding both north and south. There are now more hotels and campgrounds to choose from, as well as more businesses to cater to the needs of tourists. This photo shows you part of the area extending south of downtown. Note the beautiful setting that Moab lies in.
- Pros:A lot of possibilities for outdoor explorations.
- Cons:HOT-HOT-HOT in the summer!!!
- In a nutshell:If you love the outdoors, and don't require trees, you will love this area of UTAH.
The Needles district of Canyonlands National Park is 75 miles from Moab. This section of Canyonlands has a landscape of... more travel advice
So you are in Moab, you have your car, jeep, or truck with you. Maybe you would like a break from your physical outdoor... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: San Fran/Montery/Big Sur..."
- Commented on one of KiKitC's Moab travel pages
- updated a Moab Travel Page "KimberlyAnn's Moab Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "KimberlyAnn's Moab Page"
- Wrote a Review Canyonland National Park’s Needles District about Arches National Park in Moab Things to Do
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue