Deadwood Off The Beaten Path Tips by KimberlyAnn Top 5 Page for this destination
Deadwood Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Homestake Mine's Open Cut
The Homestake Visitor Center is located at 160 West Main Street in the nearby town of Lead, South Dakota and is open Monday through Saturday. This is a good place to learn about the history of gold mining in the area. The Black Hills was the location of the last great gold rush in the continental United States. The wealthy George Hearst purchased the Homestake Mine in 1877. Digging 8,000 feet below the earth’ surface, 40 million troy ounces of gold were mined before it closed. This made it the largest gold mine in the western hemisphere, as well as the oldest in the world. You will see a small display, and a massive man-made bowl that is the open cut of the mine. This bowl measures 1,250 feet deep and one-half mile across. This open pit mine area was mined until 1998. Tours are available from Memorial Day in May through Labor Day in September. These are surface tours that start at the visitor center and will explain the history of the open cut and the story of Homestake. The bus tour will take you through the city of Lead and onto the grounds of the mine where your guide will explain the buildings and how the gold was processed. Even if you choose not to take the tour, you can still view the small display, and look into the open mine from the visitor center.
More Reviews (18)
- See All Camping 6 Miles South
- For Informtion
- The George S. Mickelson Trail
- Deadwood Trolley
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Deadwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- "Deadwood -Gambling & History"
- "The Old West Meets the New Economy"
- "Bad boy town of the west"
- "Deadwood South Dakota - Thar's GOOOOLD in them tha"
- "A visit to Deadwood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deadwood
- Hotels in Deadwood
- Transportation in Deadwood
- Nightlife in Deadwood
- Restaurants in Deadwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Deadwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deadwood
- 19 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Deadwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deadwood
- Posted in Travel Yellowstone National Park Forum "Re: Yellowstone in August"
- updated a Deadwood Travel Page "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- Wrote a Review Camping 6 Miles South in Deadwood Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camping 6 Miles South"
- Commented on one of BLSM's Deadwood travel pages
Photos in DeadwoodSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 213 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos