"Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota" Top 5 Page for this destination Deadwood by KimberlyAnn
Deadwood Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 119 photos
Deadwood is a small town that is filled with historical buildings and reminders from the town's early gold-rush boom years. Established in 1876 during the Black Hills gold rush, the town's early days were violent and lawless, filled with prostitutes, gunfighters, and gamblers along with those trying to find the big claim that would make them wealthy. Famous American people from the early west such as Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane, Wyatt Earp, and Dock Hilliday spent time in Deadwood. In 1964 Deadwood became the only city in the United States to be named a National Historic Landmark. In the last weekend in July, the town celebrates its history during the Days of 1876 with a 3-mile long parade of historic wagons and buggies, street dances and a PRCA rodeo. At one time it was this rich history that brought visitors to this town. Today, however, many people come for its gambling. In 1947 gambling had been officially closed in Deadwood, but in1989 legalized limited-stakes gambling returned to Deadwood for the purpose of bringing more tourism to the town, as well as creating funds to preserve its historic buildings.
We came to Deadwood for its history, and filled three days visiting museums and touring historic sites on foot and by bus. Even if you come for the gambling, if you are interested in history at all, try to plan some time to explore the interesting history of Deadwood.
Many of the historic building along main street have been preserved on the outside, but contain casinos inside. Gambling has become so popular in Deadwood that many of the hotels in the area now offer their own casino, so you will find a large number of establishments to choose from
- Pros:Located in a pretty, historical setting, you will find a number of interesting activities.
- Cons:If you love shopping, Deadwood is not a town centered on quaint shops. In the off-season, historical skits are not performed.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy Deadwood for its fascinating history, or for its gaming casinos, or combine the two.
Wild Bills Campground offers rustic cabins as well as campsites. It is located 6 miles south of Deadwood at an altitude... more travel advice
The George Mickelson Trail runs through the heart of the Black Hills for 109 miles, and may be accessed in Deadwood. The... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Deadwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- "Deadwood -Gambling & History"
- "The Old West Meets the New Economy"
- "Bad boy town of the west"
- "Deadwood South Dakota - Thar's GOOOOLD in them tha"
- "Ghosts of Deadwood, SD"
- "RODEONan's new Deadwood Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deadwood
- Hotels in Deadwood
- Transportation in Deadwood
- Nightlife in Deadwood
- Restaurants in Deadwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Deadwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deadwood
- 19 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Deadwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deadwood
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: San Fran/Montery/Big Sur..."
- updated a Deadwood Travel Page "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- Wrote a Review Camping 6 Miles South in Deadwood Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camping 6 Miles South"
- Commented on one of BLSM's Deadwood travel pages
Photos in DeadwoodSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue