"Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park by KimberlyAnn
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 373 photos
Lying in the Chihuahuan Desert of the Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns is one of the deepest, largest, and most ornate caverns ever found. The cave was created by water percolating drop by drop through an ancient limestone fossil reef, dissolving the limestone. American Indians had known about this cave for thousands of years, but there is no evidence that they ever ventured very far into the cave. The first reported entry to Carlsbad was in 1882 when a 12-year old boy named Rolth Sublett was lowered into the cave by his father. However, it was not until Oct. 25, 1923 that the cave was set aside as a National Park. Within this cave you will walk through gigantic subterranean rooms with fantastic formations. The basic tour is the Big Room Route, but if you love caves as we do, take more than a day and register ahead of time for some of the other tours. We took 6 of the 8 available tours, and loved every one of them! This park is open all year with the weather underground remaining a constant 56degrees F. The most crowded time of the year to go is in the summer and on major holidays.
As dripping water falls to the floor stalagmites are formed. These are the finger like formations that you see pointing upward from the floor.
As water drips slowly from the ceiling formations such as soda straws and the larger stalactites form. These are some of the formations that you will see hanging from the ceiling. When I was a young girl I had a science teacher that said the way to remember the difference between stalactites and stalagmites was that if you were hanging from the ceiling you would have to hang on tight.
- Pros:If you are fascinated by the wonderful underground world of caves, this is one of the bests.
- Cons:If you find walking difficult, this may not be for you.
- In a nutshell:A wonderful cave that deserves its popularity.
When you arrive at the cavern you will enter the Visitor Center area. Here you will find displays and short films to... more travel advice
Guadalupe National Park is in west Texas only 45 miles southwest of Carlsbad Caverns. This is a park that is not well... more travel advice
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Carlsbad Caverns National Park Page"
- "Carlsbad Caverns - it blew my mind!"
- "Carlsbad Cavern: Its Whats Down Below That Counts"
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite"
- "The Stunning Underworld..."
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, US"
- "My Trip To The Bowels of the Earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Hotels in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Transportation in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Nightlife in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Restaurants in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Shopping in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- updated a Carlsbad Caverns National Park Travel Page "Carlsbad Caverns National Park, One of My Favorite"
- Posted in Travel Moab Forum "Re: Canyonlands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Best Way to See the Cave"
- Wrote a Review Purchasing Tickets and Finding Information in Carlsbad Caverns National Park Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 213 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 66 reviews, 217 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos