"Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns" Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette by KimberlyAnn
Marquette Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 309 photos
In 1845 iron was discovered in the Marquette Range, which led to the settlement of the town in 1849. Marquette was named for Father Jacques Marquette, a Jesuit French missionary and explorer who opened the area for pioneers in 1660. Marquette also became the first Lake Superior Port to ship iron ore. Today the town with its population of around 22,000 people has a variety of industries including lumbering, machinery, meat processing, as well as being a valuable shipping port. Located on Lake Superior, and surrounded by the Laurentian Uplands this town is considered the governmental, medical, and shopping center of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. With miles of Lake Superior frontage, Marquette is also popular in the summer for lake and beach activities.
The photo at the top of this page was taken along West Washington Street in Marquette.
Marquette has done a wonderful job of renovating and preserving its historical buildings. The 1891 Savings Bank’s clock tower is a landmark in the heart of downtown Marquette that can be see for blocks. This Photo shows the tower as reflected in the windows across the street from the Savings building. For two more views of this historic five story building, see my travelogue, Some of My Favorite Historic Buildings.
Another historic, and beautiful building, is the St. Peter’s Cathedral. In this photo you see a close up of its two twin steeples. For additional photos of St. Peter’s, as well as the wonderful, not to be missed courthouse, see Some of My Favorite Historic Buildings travelogue.
- In a nutshell:A town of friendly people, historic buildings, beautiful beaches, and good food.
Open for lunch and dinner, Elizabeth’s Chop House is the place to go for that special meal. This restaurant is run by... more travel advice
Ok, this isn’t actually in Marquette, as it is located west of the nearby town of Ishpeming on highway US 41. But it is... more travel advice
- See All Shopping Along Highway 41
- People, Geography, and Food
- See All Visit Beaches Along Lake Superior
- See All What is That Big Structure In the Lake?
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Marquette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Small Town next to a Big Lake"
- "Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns"
- "Lake Superior Iron Ore Port Turned University Town"
- "Drew's new Marquette Page"
- "Living in Marquette"
- "Marquette, Michigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marquette
- Hotels in Marquette
- Transportation in Marquette
- Nightlife in Marquette
- Restaurants in Marquette
- Shopping in Marquette
- Warnings and Dangers in Marquette
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marquette
- 31 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Marquette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marquette
- Posted in Travel Yellowstone National Park Forum "Re: What to see at Yellowstone..."
- updated a Marquette Travel Page "Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns"
- Wrote a Review A Gourmet Treat in Marquette Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "For Something More Unusual"
- Commented on one of yooperprof's Marquette travel pages
Photos in MarquetteSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 218 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue