"Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns" Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette by KimberlyAnn

Marquette Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 309 photos

In 1845 iron was discovered in the Marquette Range, which led to the settlement of the town in 1849. Marquette was named for Father Jacques Marquette, a Jesuit French missionary and explorer who opened the area for pioneers in 1660. Marquette also became the first Lake Superior Port to ship iron ore. Today the town with its population of around 22,000 people has a variety of industries including lumbering, machinery, meat processing, as well as being a valuable shipping port. Located on Lake Superior, and surrounded by the Laurentian Uplands this town is considered the governmental, medical, and shopping center of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. With miles of Lake Superior frontage, Marquette is also popular in the summer for lake and beach activities.

The photo at the top of this page was taken along West Washington Street in Marquette.

Well Preserved Historic Buildings

Marquette has done a wonderful job of renovating and preserving its historical buildings. The 1891 Savings Bank’s clock tower is a landmark in the heart of downtown Marquette that can be see for blocks. This Photo shows the tower as reflected in the windows across the street from the Savings building. For two more views of this historic five story building, see my travelogue, Some of My Favorite Historic Buildings.

Another historic, and beautiful building, is the St. Peter’s Cathedral. In this photo you see a close up of its two twin steeples. For additional photos of St. Peter’s, as well as the wonderful, not to be missed courthouse, see Some of My Favorite Historic Buildings travelogue.

• In a nutshell:A town of friendly people, historic buildings, beautiful beaches, and good food.
  • Last visit to Marquette: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2011

• Jul 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM

The Children's Museum is one of the best I've been to and I've been to a few.

• Apr 20, 2010 at 5:56 AM

Hi KimberlyAnn-I would like to use your photo on my website. Do you have an email address that I could contact you at?

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Nice town steeped with history. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, SL :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM

What wonderful tips! So comprehensive, informative, as well as interesting. I really enjoyed the information about the Lower Harbor Ore Dock. Excellent restaurant tips. A most enchanting visit to these top-notch pages about Marquette.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 11:04 PM

You really spend a lot of time doing your tips and ensuring that we can learn as much as possible about Marquette. Thanks ;-)

• Mar 5, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Great place to eat and visit with friends and family!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 6:43 PM

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with you on your restaurant tips! I think the Italian place does a really good job - I love the Arrabiata! Next time you're in town, I'd recommend Gophers for lunch.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Good tips, gr8 review of Marquette. Loved bird story; I delivered a sailboat Oxnard to Wilmington 1969-little songbird came aboard for 4 hours-figured it flew from Santa Barbara Isl. Finally flew to Malibu after eating our sandwich crumbs. Doug

• May 27, 2004 at 11:17 PM

Excellant travelloge. Great pictures and useful information.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2003 at 7:42 PM

Nice UP pages!!

KimberlyAnn Visits Here Frequently!

KimberlyAnn

“Respect all living things, accept man's differences.”

Badges & Stats in Marquette

Have you been to Marquette?