Houghton Warnings Or Dangers Tips by KimberlyAnn Top 5 Page for this destination
Houghton Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 2 photos
Beware of Lake Superior's Cold Waters
There are black bears in the woods of the U.P., so be aware of their presence. Lake Superior has very cold-water temperatures, and can have violent storms, so if boating on Superior keep a watch on the weather reports. Swimming in Lake Superior is not desirable as the water temperature is very cold all year, although people do swim in protected bays. If you plan on skin diving be sure that you have proper full body wetsuits. (You can also swim at the Houghton or Hancock beaches in the Keweenaw Waterway, as well as a number of inland lakes.) Mosquitoes and black flies can be numerous in both the U.P. and on Isle Royal. Although they vary in numbers from year to year, I would recommend that you always come prepared with insect repellent. If visiting Isle Royal be aware that the trails are rocky and can be wet and slippery. Proper footwear should be worn when hiking. Also all surface drinking water in Isle Royal must be boiled for at least 5 minutes or filtered with a .4-micron filter before consumption. Tapeworm eggs may exist in the water and no chemical purification will kill these. Note that Isle Royal can be a popular area for backpackers, and you will have to register for campsites.
More Reviews (41)
- See All A Hotel Across the Waterway
- See All Walk or Bike the Houghton Waterfront...
- See All A Taste From Various Countries
- See All An International Food Market
- See All The Portage Lift Bridge
- Winter and Summer Sport Opportunities
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Houghton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Houghton, Michigan, Our Home Away From Home"
- ""My old [Michigan] home""
- "Copper and Turbo"
- "Basaic Isle Royale National Park/Houghton Page"
- "cynthi's Houghton Page"
- "Houghton, MI"
- "lintman1's Houghton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houghton
- Hotels in Houghton
- Transportation in Houghton
- Nightlife in Houghton
- Restaurants in Houghton
- Shopping in Houghton
- Warnings and Dangers in Houghton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Turrachsee Hotels
- Karwar Hotels
- Danau Cangkuang Hotels
- Mount Hermon Hotels
- Mardi Gras
- Pagudpud Warnings and Dangers
- Fake Taxis or Police
- Kanagawa-ken Warnings and Dangers
- Northeastern Thailand Warnings and Dangers
- Selcuk Warnings and Dangers
- Edmonton Warnings and Dangers
- Santa Fe Warnings and Dangers
- Rain & bad weather
- Hawkes Bay Warnings and Dangers
- Estado de Yucatán Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Houghton
- 42 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Houghton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houghton
Photos in HoughtonSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 86 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 66 reviews, 212 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue