"Houghton, Michigan, Our Home Away From Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton by KimberlyAnn
Houghton Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 185 photos
Located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (the U.P) you could say that this area of the country is our "second home" as we spend our summers here each year. Laying at the northern most tip of Michigan, the Keweenaw area of the Upper Peninsula is approximately fifty miles long. Within this peninsula you will find the "Copper Range," a narrow area along which some four hundred copper mining companies operated between 1872 and 1920. It was these deposits of copper that set off the boom years and spurred settlement of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The Keweenaw waterway passes between the towns of Houghton and Hancock, and to travel across the waterway you will pass over the quarter-mile Portage Lake Vertical Lift Bridge. Keweenaw means "portage" in Ojibwa, the language spoken by the Anishinaabe. These ancient people discovered the Portage River and Portage Lake, which provided a natural water pathway across most of the Keweenaw Peninsula. In the late 1800's the short portage at the north end was opened into a canal, which made the Keweenaw (Portage) Waterway an essential commercial shipping route because of the copper boom and resulting population. Today one can travel by boat into Lake Superior from either end of the Keweenaw Waterway. With a population of about 7500, Houghton is snuggled into steep hillsides and is the mainland headquarters of Isle Royale National Park (See my Off the Beaten Path section), and the home of Michigan Technological University. This university has added another dimension to the cultural mix of the Houghton/Hancock area. The U.P. is popular with outdoor enthusiasts, containing many lakes, the rugged shoreline of Lake Superior, and state and national forests, which cover much of the land, preserving large areas of the rugged peninsula's beauty. This area of the country has also been designated as the Keweenaw National Historical Park, which commemorates the heritage of copper mining on the Keweenaw Peninsulal's mines and its people. Within this copper district, historical sites open to the public are set apart by the NPS as "cooperating sites". With this designation a cooperating site is pulled under the Keweenaw National Historical Park umbrella, creating a unique partnership. Brochures are available at the Camber of Commerce in Houghton, or the information center on US 41 in Calumet. For additional information visit the park web site, www.nps.gov\kewe or phone 800-338-7982. Note that each cooperating site manages its own admissions policy and fee structure. The best time to visit here is July and August when the weather is usually at its best. If you come for the magnificent fall colors, be aware that it might be gray, chilly, and rainy. BUT if you hit a fall sunny day, the colors are a great reward. Year round residents tell me that fall colors are usually at their peak the last week of September and the first week of October.
Fall often brings early morning fog to the waters of the Keweenaw Waterway. I always enjoy the beauty of these mornings. Here you see our sailboat, Impulse, at her mooring in late September.
Lupin are just one of the many wild flowers that can be found growing in the U.P.of Michigan. I love these beautiful early summer flowers, and after collecting seeds I was able to establish three patches of lupin near our old summer cabin. One summer I had a couple that came up a beautiful pink, rather than the normal blue color.
- Pros:If you enjoy history or the outdoors, there is plenty to keep you busy here.
- Cons:The weather can be poor, and the mosquitoes and biting flies can be bothersome.
- In a nutshell:This out of the way place is filled with interesting and beautiful places to explore.
The Ramada Waterfront is a full service hotel, located on the waterfront near the Lift Bridge. The hotel is two-story,... more travel advice
Along the Keweenaw waterway on the west side of Houghton, you will find the Waterfront Park recreation area. This park... more travel advice
- See All An International Food Market
- See All The Portage Lift Bridge
- Winter and Summer Sport Opportunities
- See All So You Want To Visit Isle Royal National...
- See All Strawberry Festival
Written Mar 20, 2006
Color Season in the Upper Peninsula
Written Jan 4, 2009
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Houghton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Houghton, Michigan, Our Home Away From Home"
- ""My old [Michigan] home""
- "Copper and Turbo"
- "Basaic Isle Royale National Park/Houghton Page"
- "cynthi's Houghton Page"
- "Houghton, MI"
- "lintman1's Houghton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houghton
- Hotels in Houghton
- Transportation in Houghton
- Nightlife in Houghton
- Restaurants in Houghton
- Shopping in Houghton
- Warnings and Dangers in Houghton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Houghton
- 42 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Houghton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houghton
- Posted in Travel Yellowstone National Park Forum "Re: Transportation inside..."
- updated a Houghton Travel Page "Houghton, Michigan, Our Home Away From Home"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Small Hike, But Many Environments"
- Wrote a Review A Hotel Across the Waterway in Houghton Hotels
- Uploaded a Video to Houghton
Photos in HoughtonSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 67 reviews, 218 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue