"Calumet, Michigan Near My Second Home" Calumet by KimberlyAnn
Calumet Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 69 photos
Calumet is located northwest of Houghton along Highway 26, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula region. The word "calumet" is an Indian name for the clay stone bowl of the peace pipe. Under the direction of Alexander Agassiz, Swiss-born, Harvard-educated scientist and son of the world-famous geologist, Louis Agassiz, the Calumet and Hecla copper mining companies merged in 1871 into the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company. These companies began in the mid-1800s to work one of the richest copper deposits in the world. With his managerial skills and technical knowledge, along with financial backing of Boston investors, Agassiz made C&H the dominant mining company in the Copper Range. In the 1870s the Calumet/Hecla Company mined 50 percent of the nation's copper. Calumet became the most civilized community in the Copper Country with a population of over 50,000. I have been told that Calumet was even a candidate as the state capital of Michigan. Today, with the copper mining era over, Calumet with its present population of about 800 is a pretty little town with many church steeples, whose entire five-block downtown area is a designated Historical District.
- Pros:If you enjoy learning about the history of an area, you will love Calumet.
- Cons:Watch out for biting flies and mosquitoes.
The Wood’n Spoon features handmade jams, jellies, berry syrups, and baked goods. Some of these are made from wild... more travel advice
The Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn is an inactive lighthouse that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.... more travel advice
- See All A Peak Into a Historic Mansion
- History At Your Door
- To Make Life Comfortable
KimberlyAnn's Related Pages
Calumet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calumet, Michigan Near My Second Home"
- "The Great U.P. North"
- "A Mining Town After the Mines Are Shut Down"
- "Basaic Calumet Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calumet
- Hotels in Calumet
- Transportation in Calumet
- Nightlife in Calumet
- Restaurants in Calumet
- Shopping in Calumet
- Warnings and Dangers in Calumet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calumet
- 23 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Calumet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calumet
Photos in CalumetSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cody Intro, 65 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Grand Teton National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 142 photos
- Florida Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houghton Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copper Harbor Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Intro, 28 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Calumet hotel reviews
- Americinn Calumet (56925 S 6TH St.)
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013